This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Computer Screen Turns Black Once Mouse Is Touched [Solved]

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Having this weird issue on start up. Once I power the computer on and goes through it's start up… once it comes to the desktop I can see everything on desktop. Once I grab the mouse and click on anything… the monitor goes black! But the LED light at the bottom of the HP monitor is Blue… indicating it's on. What is causing this on start up? How can I keep my monitor on so I can correct this issue? This is so weird. It's an older computer. Operating Windows XP
Hi T.C.,

:welcome:

My name is Tomk. I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. Logs can take a while to research, so please be patient and I'd be grateful if you would note the following:

  • I will be working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for the issues on this machine.
  • Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
  • If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.

This may not be a malware issue. I may have to send you to the Tech Team to get things working.

Does the same thing happen in safe mode?

To enter safe mode… restart your computer and then begin tapping the F8 key until your system beeps. Then select safemode with networking.
Yes, safe mode is working and I just tried it. The monitor stays on and I can see. This is somewhat of a relief. I have very important photos on here and I need to get them off of my hard drive. But, what is my next step in fixing this mess? Thank you.
I plan on actually removing some of my family photos… or at least getting a copy of them… and erasing the hard drive and reinstalling Windows. I have an HP custom built computer. It's the year in which it does a full erase and install… I just need to make sure I can get a few files from my computer. What do you think is the best next step?
If that is all you are going to do… Then I would get a USB thumb drive and copy all the files I wanted to keep onto it. Then go ahead and do a reformat and reinstall.

I can do this from safe mode… correct?

Yes

dayam… the screen is now turning black in safe mode. :( This isn't good. What is causing this?

I don't know. Could be a hardware problem…. could be software I was thinking driver error but I think that is less likely if it happens in safemode also.

If you have another computer… you may want to pull the Hard drive and slave it in the other system and transfer the files you need off of it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI