Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Problem downloading Java.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Huetj

Huetj

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:19 AM

I have a problem with the Java download. When I open the program file I get the window showing the green progress line and then when completed either nothing or this message: ERROR _ JAVA INSTALLER Downloaded File C:\users\....\AppData\local low\Sun\Java\jre1.7.0_06\java_sp.dll is corrupt I've scanned the Java downloaded file for viruses and it come up clean. My computing level is "novice". I'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:42 AM

I can think of 2 possible causes off the top of my head, either the download is corrupted, or protection is causing the corruption, we will start with the protection as the possible cause, you don't say what protection your running, but if you reply with anything offering real time protection, we can help pause these from running to see if the install works properly. Real time protection comes from such things as anti virus, anti malware, anti virus is often a cause when such things happen, and generally speaking protection can be paused\disabled until after the install completes, most of these programs have an option under the right click option of the mouse, to see if yours does, locate it's icon on the task bar, bottom right near the clock, you may need to click an expand arrow\icon to reveal hidden icons, once found right click on it, and look for disable\pause real time cover, words may vary, but should be obvious, if they are not reply with what your using and we can guide more. Main point to remember is to select pause for x amount of time, or select until the system reboots, no matter which you use all will automatically revert once the system reboots, but do NOT select to permanently disable the cover, anything else will restart with the system, if you are not able to see such options, or have any doubts, reply with what cover you are using and we can help more.

Braindead

#3 Huetj

Huetj

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:04 PM

I'm using Trend Micro anti virus. I couldn't see any settings which would allow me to pause real-time protection. To be honest, I'm a bit worried about pausing real-time protection, especially while downloading and opening files.

#4 inzanity

inzanity

♠♠lost♠♠

• Malware Team
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:18 AM

Hi :welcome:

It might also be a corrupt installer or it needs elevation (Admin privilege) when installing. Either way the version you are trying to install is outdated. The current version for Java 7 is update 7.
You can download it here -> http://www.oracle.co...ds-1836441.html

Accept the license aggreement then download the product specific for your computer.

After downloading, right click on the java file then select Run as administrator, this is important.

Hope this helps.

Proud graduate of WTT Classroom

The help we provide here is free, however, if you wish to donate, you can do so here: http://www.whatthetech.com/donate/

ASAP and UNITE member

!

#5 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:36 AM

I'm using Trend Micro anti virus. I couldn't see any settings which would allow me to pause real-time protection. To be honest, I'm a bit worried about pausing real-time protection, especially while downloading and opening files.

You are right to be concerned about disabling real time protection when doing most things, let alone downloading, BUT, that said there are times when it is necessary to do this, but as long as it is done for the right reason(s), and only done to known safe sites, you should be fine, just go to the download link with protection enabled, this minimises you going to an infected page, ensure ALL other downloads are NOT running, then you stop the real time cover and download the file, once done close the browser, and do not go to any other site until real time cover is enabled again.

I have had issues with my anti virus was causing corruption to such downloads, and the only way I could get a good download was to stop my anti virus until the file was downloaded, now from what I can see with your anti virus, you right click on it's icon, and select to exit, this will close the protection, you will probably get a prompt asking if you really want to do this, this is to ensure you have asked for this, and it's not an infection trying to do nasty stuff, so once downloaded, install it, then reboot the system, your real time protection will be enabled again, and you should be updated and fully covered again.

Now definitely follow the above first, it may be a privilege issue, but I have never seen it cause corruption, but anything is possible knowing some of the curve balls that these things can throw at you lol, but if it works it means you don't need to mess around, if it doesn't then this should allow you to get this done, hope the above works, and something in all this helps.

Braindead

#6 Huetj

Huetj

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:39 PM

Java problem has been sorted. Thanks to everyone who helped.

#7 Handy97

Handy97

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

Java problem has been sorted. Thanks to everyone who helped.

I have the exact same problem. I cant figure out how to sort it. Please explain thoroughly how you fixed this problem.

#8 Huetj

Huetj

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

I clicked on the link provided by inzanity (a couple of posts above), and downloaded the correct version. I also disabled my Trend Micro protection temporarily _ or I think I did by clicking the exit option on the anti-virus icon on my task bar. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing the problem lies with the download from the Java website. The download suggested by inzanity is on the oracle website _ I even noticed the download window looked different. But then again, as 8210GUY said, it might have been the virus protection interfering with the download.

Edited by Huetj, 16 September 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#9 inzanity

inzanity

♠♠lost♠♠

• Malware Team
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

Hi,

Java is now owned by Oracle. You can try downloading it from here: http://www.java.com/...nload/index.jsp

But be sure to temporarily disable Trend Micro and go only to the website provided above and re-enable your anti virus protection once the download is complete.

Here is how to disable Trend Micro: http://esupport.tren...us/1037114.aspx

Proud graduate of WTT Classroom

The help we provide here is free, however, if you wish to donate, you can do so here: http://www.whatthetech.com/donate/

ASAP and UNITE member

!

#10 Hans M

Hans M

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:08 PM

Hi :welcome:

It might also be a corrupt installer or it needs elevation (Admin privilege) when installing. Either way the version you are trying to install is outdated. The current version for Java 7 is update 7.
You can download it here -> http://www.oracle.co...ds-1836441.html

Accept the license aggreement then download the product specific for your computer.

After downloading, right click on the java file then select Run as administrator, this is important.

Hope this helps.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate. When I downloaded the "online" java installer for Java 7 update 7 (jxpiinstall.exe, an 874 KB file), no amount of disabling the firewall or virus scan, changing compatibility mode to Windows XP, running as Administrator, etc., etc., would get it to work.

HOWEVER, when I downloaded the full "Offline" version of the installer (jre-7u7-windows-i586, a 29 MB file) from http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp, set the compatibility mode to "Windows XP Service Pack 3" and "Run as Administrator," it worked just fine the first time, WITHOUT disabling Windows Defender or virus scan.

I hope that helps.