This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows update

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello and what do you do when you cannot install an update Windows is telling you to do so.
I have run Mr. FixIt to no avail.
Thank you

Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.133.145.0)

Installation date: ‎8/‎22/‎2012 2:25 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80070666

Update type: Optional

Install this update to revise the definition files that are used to detect viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=154739

Help and Support:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=154739

Reboot and let MSE update on it's own. Don't try to update via Windows Update.



>>I tried but it failed so I reinstalled and the update finally succeded.
I am going back to a yellow pad. :wavey:
I'll get the exact verbage right one of these days. I did uninstall, reboot then reinstall for it to work and update. I mistakenly thought that a reinstall meant that. R-Have you reached 30 days with the tweak reg back up yet to see if the old drop off?
I set mine to 10 days and it's working. I often end up with multiple backups for a single day since it creates one every time I boot, but that's okay. I currently have 20 backups but they only cover the last 10 days.

I set mine to 10 days and it's working. I often end up with multiple backups for a single day since it creates one every time I boot, but that's okay. I currently have 20 backups but they only cover the last 10 days.




>>I think 10 is better than 30 so I'll reset mine. I have noticed it runs by logons not days too.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI