Hi -
OCD referred me to this area. He has been troubleshooting some issues with my laptop. Here is a link to our recent topic:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=128265&page=1
I've done some of the cleanup steps he gave me to do. I also uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials and replaced it with AVG.
My main issue now is that I cannot update Windows. The last update for Microsoft Windows was 8/13/2013! ![]()
Please read thru the topic above and you will be able to see all the logs and steps we have taken and hopefully you will have some more ideas to help resolve this issue. I have seen in some of the logs where files were corrupted or missing. Oh, I did an AVG scan and it shows 2 corrupted executable files that it could not remove:
Corrupted executable file, C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Temp\mpam-2cf0dce1.exe";"Infected"
Corrupted executable file, C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Temp\mpam-df6a2057.exe";"Infected"
Should I just manually remove those?
Also wondering about Post #59 and if that might help:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=128265&p=851665
Ok Ill be waiting to hear from you and I won't do anything until then.
Thank you,
NoNo
Referred by Malware Team
7 min read
Hi No No,
As your post refers to "infected files" I think it would be wise for you to copy your post here into your original topic over in the Virus and Spyware removal forum so that OCD can take a look at it.
To make this easier for you I have opened your topic over there so you will be able to copy it in.
OCD will be able to advise the next steps….. and also. refer you back to us here if he is happy that your computer appears to be free of malicious code.
Regards
paws
Ok Thank you
Hi Paws - I'm back! There is no longer any malicious codes remaining on my system. We can proceed with the above:
OCD referred me to this area. He has been troubleshooting some issues with my laptop. Here is a link to our recent topic:
http://forums.whatth…c=128265&page=1
Also wondering about Post #59 and if that might help:
http://forums.whatth…128265&p=851665
Thank you,
NoNo
Hi No NO,
its good to hear that your computer is clear of malicious code.
![]()
It will take me a couple of hours or so to examine all the logs over in the Virus and Spyware removal forum, to try and find some clues as to what is going on with your computer, and as its late evening here, it will be after close of business tomorrow 18.30 hrs (GMT or UTC) 26th July, before I will be able to get back to you.
In the meantime some more work for you to do I'm afraid……. ![]()
Please check your back ups of everything that is important to you on your computer, make sure it covers everything that you don't want to lose permanently, that all the files are reproducible, accurate and with at least one copy kept safe offsite on removable media.
If you find that there are even just a few files that have "escaped" your back up strategy, then take the opportunity now to remedy the situation, make sure you have all your programmes/applications discs, product serial keys/numbers or executable files (Microsoft Office for example, Image manipulation applications and all others) safe in a handy place, together with your Windows Vista Installation disc and with all the drivers you might require if you need to format your drive and reinstall Vista to cure the problems…..it should not be necessary to perform a format and reinstall,(which clears everything from your computer including Windows itself …..) but it is important that you are prepared for it should it become necessary and have everything to hand including your Windows Vista product key to be found on the Certificate of Authenticity ( COA) usually stuck on an external part of your computer's case, (often underneath on laptop computers…) the key is 25 characters in 5 groups of 5 and is in the format of
xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx and contains both letters and numbers.. (Don't forget to make a note of all your user names/ID's and passwords…)
If you have a good disc image taken when everything was working well on your computer then verify it's correct and works! (if you can) and make sure you have a bootable disc able to access the external hard drive where your disc images are kept… if you don't have one then it would be wise to make one before we go too far into the repair of your computer……
I think I remember you have already run chkdsk /r
and sfc /scannow but when you are happy with your back ups and imaging….( not before) please run firstly chkdsk /r ( from a command prompt with elevated privileges ( accept the black screen warning, select Y and restart your computer so chkdsk /r can run……it may take a few hours to complete all 5 passes so please do not allow power to be interrupted during its progress or attempt to use your computer whilst its running.
When it's finished it will restart your computer………You can then run sfc /scannow
Please note the spaces in the commands, they need to be there.
Please post back any errors or output that may be shown when running sfc /scannow.
Regards
paws
Once you have re-run the chkdsk and sfc ( see my previous post for detailed directions) and restarted your computer again, then please visit Microsoft's site here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-7
Follow the onscreen directions, run the tool and then restart your computer.
Next try the Windows update again.
Any joy?
Post back with any error reports you receive from running sfc etc.
Regards
paws
Hi - Im so sorry its taking so long to complete the above steps. I need to get discs to save a backup. Also I need to figure out how to do the following:
- I do not have a Vista Installation disc.
- Im not sure how to get/copy the drivers I might require if I needed to format my drive.
- Im not sure how to get an image as u referred "If you have a good disc image taken when everything was working well on your computer then verify it's correct and works! (if you can) and make sure you have a bootable disc able to access the external hard drive where your disc images are kept… if you don't have one then it would be wise to make one before we go too far into the repair of your computer……"
- I have not been able to run SFC but will try again after I take care of the above list. Here is a link to the issue I had with SFC:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=128265&p=850707
I will figure out how to do the above an get back to you by this weekend.
Thank you,
NoNo
HI NoNo. First, windows updates issues on Windows Vista can turn into a nightmare and require nothing less than a full reinstall of the OS. So, I think Paws suggestions are quite good. And you should always have these types of things taken care of anyways, just for good measure.
However, I saw the two problems you are having:
- Windows update tells you it needs to restart becuase it can't update system files while they are in use
- sfc /scannow tells you that the system has a pending change and needs to be rebooted
I've seen this before. But, its been a really long time. Basically, your system thinks that is has pending changes that need to be made during a reboot. Its supposed to perform those actions than clear those pending changes when you reboot. For some reason your system is stuck. I found the following information that should clear this problem out.
- Open an elevated command prompt (Click Start -> Type 'CMD' in the search box -> Right-click "Command Prompt" in the search results -> Select "Run As Administrator")
- In the new command prompt window copy and paste the following:
-
fsutil resource setautoreset true %systemdrive%\ attrib -r -s -h %SystemRoot%\System32\Config\TxR\* del %SystemRoot%\System32\Config\TxR\* attrib -r -s -h %SystemRoot%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine\* del %SystemRoot%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine\*.tm* del %SystemRoot%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine\*.blf del %SystemRoot%\System32\SMI\Store\Machine\*.regtrans-ms
- When you receive "Are You Sure?" prompts just type Y and Enter if necessary.
- Reboot the computer
Next, try to search for windows updates again. If all has gone well you should no longer get any messages about needing to reboot. If you have further issues installing windows updates then you should do the two following things. The first of which Paws suggested, but I can't seem to get to the Windows Vista version from the link he provided.
- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 - If it doesn't immediately offer the "Run Now" option then in "Select Product Version" you can choose Vista / Windows XP. Then download and run the FixIt. Try Win Updates again.
- If you still receive errors run the following: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/what-is-the-system-update-readiness-tool (Vista x86)
If you had to run the system update readiness tool, then try updates again. If they still fail please find the following file, zip it up and attach it to the forum.
- Open My Computer and navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS. Find the CheckSur.log file.
- Open it up in Notepad and copy and paste the contents in your next post.
If there are problems that the SUR tool finds but can't fix then this will probably require a reinstall of the operating system.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI