This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Help adding VPN router to home network

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My roomates job requires and provided him a VPN cisco router, VOIP phone and computer. Current / Existing network. The second router is mine and services my connections on the other end of the house. Cable Modem > Linksys Router #1(DHCP on) > Roomates personal computer || Linksys wireless Router #2 (DHCP OFF) > Laptop | Desktop | Xbox 360 Where do I add the VPN router? I'm hoping I can add it off of Router #1 LAN port and be done with it. I have both current routers configured for port forwarding for xbox etc.
Maybe one of the Tech Team knows some "trick"… but I don't think the VPN router will work correctly unless it is hooked directly into the modem. I'm pretty sure it should take the place of what you call "Linksys Router #1(DHCP on)"
Tomk, your suggestion is best, but not absolute. Unless a nightmare is what you are asking for - the Cisco will become the new gateway device and will need to be passed through a public IP address from the cable modem. The other equipment will hook up behind that.

If a nightmare is what you are asking for, you can try something like this (but goodluck): http://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-vpn-fir…review-139.html.

Even with VPN configured correctly I have known Linksys routers to be too unreliable to maintain a VPN connection behind them. Specifically the WRT54G.

My suggestion, or question, to the OP is why would your brother's company provide him a Cisco router for VPN, when any sensible business would just have him use a software based VPN client on his computer to establish a secure connection to the business network that would require no further re-configuration on your network. If this is a business class Cisco router, it practically requires a CCNA certification to be able to program it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI