This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Remote Access To Home Network

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi guys came across this forum on my search for solutions to my question so hopefully I will find it here ! I want to be able to access computers at my home address (4 in all) when I am away from home so that I can access files and also resolve any tech issues my family may have rather than spending hours on the phone trying to explain to them what to do. When I am at home I have the same issue the other way round with sorting out collegues pc's at work but this way round is simple as I just connect to our office server via the VPN and then use VNC to get on to the particular machine and deal with the problem. Is there a way I can do this from the office to home. I have just got a Static IP from my ISP but do not know how to set up the connection to home on the router. I have read somewhere I need to open ports but again not 100% sure about this My Router is a Netgear WNDR3700 bridged off a Netgear Modem DM11P. In the Router I have set the IP address as static. my networking skills are basic very basic !! so please if you reply try to explain it easily I am confident in working with computors as long as I understand what I am doing ! Thank you for any help you can offer
Install VNC server on the 4 home systems and a VNC client on your travel system. I use TightVNC.

You could also use CrossLoop as I believe you can set it up so no one has to be present for you to connect.

Forgot one, TeamViewer which is also very good.
Hi Many thanks for the reply I will give all of those a look at - do I need to do anything with my router / modem though to actually get access to my home network?
I'm not sure, it's been a long time since I setup VNC. You may need to define a separate port for each of the 4 computers then forward it to the right one via Port Forwarding in the router. For Crossloop or TeamViewer no router changes are needed.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI