Can you create a VPN with one VPN router?
I have one linksys VPN router and I'm curious if I can establish a VPN connection within my home network or do I need a VPN router on a separate network?
All I am trying to do is use the VPN router to encrypt data being send and received from my home network. I want to put the VPN router in place of the other router I am currently using for my home network. I was trying to connect to the internet with the VPN router and for some reason I could not receive a connection. I'm more or less trying to familiarize myself with using this device and to experiment a little. I"m just not sure if I need to actually establish a tunnel protocol from one network to another.
What do you want to connect to the VPN?
That's a bit synonymous to asking if you can create a network with just one PC - if you don't have any other computers to connect to, then what is the purpose? Have you paid for a VPN service that you want to connect your router to?
I have about 4 different computers in my home network. I am more or less trying to experiment with having a VPN. I don't have a VPN service that I pay for in particular, I just have a VPN linksys router that I would like to put to use. When I tried hooking it up to my cable modem and then to my computers, I was unable to connect to the internet. I'm just curious if it's possible to establish a VPN without having another VPN router on separate network.
Your interest in trying something new is admirable, but in this case it may be opportunistic (you got your hands on a VPN Router) without being familiar with the hardware, software, networking, required skill set, and purpose of what you are curious about.
After you've read up a bit, you may find that you can come back here with:
1. more informed questions
2. a better understanding of the task totality
3. familiarity with expenses and skill necessary to play in the areana
4. understanding of alternatives to maximize the use of your existing home LAN
Thank you for the advice. I am sorry if my questions aren't very informed. You are right, perhaps I should do more research before I ask random questions.