This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Connect two Wireless routes for XBox setup

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My Grandson has a Xbox 360 that is in the living room, connected to the TV. The internet connection (Cable) is in a bedroom, too far away to run CAT5 cable. There is a wireless router there as well.

Can I add a 2nd wireless router and connect them wirelessly then connect his Xbox vuia CAT5 to the 2nd router in the living room?

Is this what a bridged network is? If so, any pointers to some reading I can do? I'm going to do some searching now but was hoping one of you had already solved this and could make it easy for me :blush:

Edit: First search found this: http://www.connectedhome.infopint.com/brid…reless-routers/ which looks like all I need. Any other pointers/tips appreciated though.
Yeah, you are on the right track for doing this. I may be wrong, because I have never used this feature, but I don't recall seeing a bridge mode like that on many routers. There are devices specifically designed to do this. They are probably cheaper than buying a router and easier than trying to find one that actually allows you to do this. But, based on the price, I wonder if it isn't cheaper to just buy a USB wireless adapter for the Xbox 360 which I saw for under $50?
Turns out the router I had, a Linksys WRT54G2, did not support Bridge mode, but I was able to find a firmware update for it at DD-WRT that added that ability and it worked. I was able to connect the two wireless routers in Bridge Mode (no Ethernet cable in the WAN port of the 2nd router) then run a Ethernet cable from one of it's LAN ports to the XBox and Xbox Live now works so my Grandson is happy.

DD-WRT is not something I would recommend for the faint of heart or if you are using a router you are not willing to lose. If the firmware update fails for any reason you end up with a brick.
Thats really cool. I saw in the link you provided the DD-WRT screenshots and I knew it wasn't something normal which is what prompted me to point out that I don't think many routers support "bridge" mode. I'm glad you found something that works. Thats pretty neat to do. I'll remember that. I'll also have to check out what some of these aftermarket firmwares are offering for features. :whistling:
If you're already using a wireless router, here's what you can actually do. Check out the Netgear Xbox 360 Internet Connection Kit. This device acts as an adapter that connects to your wireless router, so you can get your Xbox 360 connected to the internet even if it's far from your wireless router. If you want to check out other info about the Netgear Xbox 360 Internet Connection Kit, just visit this link: http://www.netgear.com/avseries.

Edited by Doug: removed obfuscated address, and post direct link address

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI