This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Formatting old computer

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Formatting is deleting everything on your computer and reinstalling the OS using the disk to reinstall Windows right? If it is, then I have a question. I have this old computer, it's a Dell running Windows XP, I don't remember exactly what year it is. But it's a used computer that my family bought. It's used because it's our first computer. Anyways, when I bought it, it was bought as is. So there's nothing that came with it. But it still worked perfectly, no viruses, problems, nothing. Over the years, it's filled with viruses and is pretty much corrupted beyond repair (one time it crashed and the computer's version of Windows was no longer even genuine anymore). I haven't used it in a long time and haven't thrown it away either. So what I'm wondering is, can I format it and install Windows VISTA on the old pc?
Hi tonyrulz92

Do you know the original Dell model?

This is important as to finding the necessary drivers for this computer.

Vista is probably not a good idea as the hardware and drivers would most likely not be compatible.

There are other options such as a Linux OS such as Ubuntu for free.

To reflect on your original question:

Formatting sets up a file system on a hard drive or partition. In most cases you can then install an OS. If you are moving Windows versions it might be necessary to "wipe" the drive outside of Windows as formatting does not remove / affect / or otherwise adjust the boot sector on a hard drive.
Hi jephree. Then i guess I was wrong huh? Well I guess I'm not trying to format it. I'm trying to reset it to its factory settings and/or installing a new OS. I had no idea that it had to be compatible. I thought it would just be like any other file that you install onto your comp. I'm computer illiterate. :P Anyways, could you tell me how to return it to its factory settings? I'll try to look up its model when I get the chance. I'm a little busy with school work.
Hey Tony.

It really depends on the Dell model. Many have a Recovery partition. Some require a CD.

To get started enter your model number here:

http://support.dell.com/

under Drivers and Downloads.

Once you have done this you will find a Troubleshooting section where you can click on the question:

"How to reset my computer to Factory Settings".

If at any step in the process you require further instruction please ask.


…..

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI