Asus Model X54C. On startup I get a Windows Error Recovery screen. I hit Enter for Launch Startup Repair (recommended) and I get a blue screen that reads:
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this scree appears again, follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any updates you might need.
If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.
Technical information:
***STOP: 0x0000004E (0x0000000000000099, 0x00000000000000B8, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)"
I've tried starting in Safe Mode but get the same blue screen.
Hi taylortm,
Sorry to hear of the Page Frame Number problem with your computer.
This is not a good situation to be in…. but I guess you know that already!
See if you can run either the disc checking utility from the maker of your hard drive ( see here for details)
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
or chkdsk with the p switch and then with the r switch. if you can… ie
chkdsk /p
(from your Windows installation disc.)
Next try and run memtest86 to check the memory modules…… this is not a definitive test but will provide a reasonable indication
see here for details: http://www.memtest.org/
There is further information to be had in a topic here: http://www.faultwire.com/solutions-fatal_e…004E-*1093.html
You may end up needing to perform a complete and fresh reinstallation of your Windows operating System ,all your applications, and copy across all your data files from your latest back up….( hope this is up to date…)
The repair of this fault can often be difficult to resolve without a fair degree of computer experience so post back with any specific problems that you may hit as you try the above and we will do our best to help…..
Please let us know what you have successfully completed, so far on the above, and where (if applicable you have got stuck, and the particular error message or general dscription of what has happened….. if you post back for detailed instructions.
This gives us the best chance of being able to help you.
Regards
paws
ps .sorry, forgot to welcome you to our forums!
Thank you so much for your help. I figured that would probably be what I had to do but was holding out hope for the alternative.
I appreciate your time,
Thanks,
Trisha
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI