Thanks in advance for any help. I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, please let me know if it belongs somewhere else.
I have a SONY VAIO EG11FX/L running Windows 7. This is a brand new computer for XMAS. It was running normally for about 3 weeks and then, during start up, I get a blue screen of death with the following:
"A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND WINDOWS HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER.
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacture for any windows updates you might need.
If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.
Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF0,0x00000000000000000,0xFFFFF8000BCE9CCA,0x0000000000000000) "
When the computer is restarted it gives an option of starting windows normally or using launch recovery mode, either option results in a blue screen. Any attempt to start up in any of the safe mode options also results in the blue screen. Sometimes it flashes the blue screen and shuts down by itself.
This computer is new enough that there is not anything important in it so formatting is an option. Also the day I opened it, I installed AVG free version and PC Tools Firewall. However, I did not make a recovery disk of any sort.
There is another computer in the house running WIndows 7 if it makes it easier or possible to create a recovery disk.
Please Help
Thanks
BT