This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Boot fix needed

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi: You were recommended to me. I've been having trouble with windows booting. I have Windows XP Home Edition. Here is what I've tried.

Upon turning on the computer and hitting F12 (boot menu) because Windows won't load, and it goes to blue screen instead of booting up. It says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If the problem continues, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, Press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x857619E0, 0xC0000006,0x00000000, 0x00000000 )

My options are actually to pick F12 the bootup menus. I choose the hard drive to boot from and it takes me to the Advanced Options Menu.
These are the options it gives me:

Safe mode
Safe mode with either network prompt or commands
Enable boot logging
enable VGA mode
last know good configuration
Directory services restore mode (windows domain controllers only)
Debugging mode
Disable auto restart on system failure
Start windows normally
Reboot
Return to Operating System Choice Menu

It doesn't have a repair your computer choice and any I choose takes me to the Operating System Menu where the only options are:

Recovery console
Do not select this (debugging enabled)
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

It says to push F8 for advanced options (taking me back to the previous page) and underneath is my choice from the Advanced menu in blue.

I can only scroll between the 3 options in the operating system menu and then it tries to boot windows and just goes back to blue screen. This is a circular pattern.


I tried to boot it from a CD to recovery console downloaded at http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…st&p=487750.

When it came to the Recovery Console screen it has the command C:\>
It won't let me enter CD C:\Windows . I can't move the curser to the left to put in the CD part. HELP gets you to a list of word commands you can enter, like CHKDSK, FIXBOOT. etc. and none of these work. I get the error message:
STOP: C0000139 Entry point not found. The procedure entry point NtSerializedboot could not be located in the dynamic link library. ntdll.dll.

Do you have any suggestions on how to get it to reboot Windows? Is it a corrupted file system or hardware problem? Can you help me?
Thanks for responding.
Once you are at the C:\> prompt in the recovery console, just enter chkdsk c: /r ad press Enter. Let chkdsk run to completion. It can take an hour or more depending on the size of the hard drive.
I will try this and let you know. I am using a CD, not the C drive, but I'll try it and let you know. Thanks! I will be away from my computer til Sun PM to try.
tried it, it hesitated and tried, but failed. Tried all spacings including the one you said. It goes to the error message again: STOP: C0000139 Entry point not found. The procedure entry point NtSerializedboot could not be located in the dynamic link library. ntdll.dll.
for STOP: C0000139 Entry point not found, see if this helps..

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows XP Community. The following troubleshooting steps will help you resolve this issue:

1. Boot your machine from a Windows XP CD.

2. Select the Recovery Console, and get to the dos prompt (black screen with white letters).

3. At the prompt, type copy ‘d:\gdi32.dll file c:\windows\system32 ‘ without the quotes.

4. At the prompt, type copy ‘d:\gdi32.dll file c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386’ without the quotes.

5. Try to boot normally.

You may also view the steps in this article.

Please let us know if this helped.


from here. :- http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows…19-aa3f310941ad

:popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI