This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

UnMountable Boot Volume error (XP)

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I had a problem that surfaced about a month ago where I can't start up my computer. When I turn on my CPU I get the screen where it gives you the option to start normally, last known good configurations, safe mode, etc. No matter what option I select the computer will automatically restart itself. One thing I did was to disable automatic restart for failures and then I get a blue screen that says Unmountable_Boot_Volume so I have to restart again. I do have a Windows XP OS.
Could be a corrupted file system.

You are going to have to get into BIOS Setup on your computer to set the CD/DVD drive as the first bootable device, so you can then boot your XP CD, unless it provides the ability to press a Fn key at boot time to bring up the boot selection menu. If it does, use that.

How you do this varies with each manufacturer. Normally you press F1, F2, F10 or Del when you see the manufacturers logo. Often there is a clue somewhere on the screen when you boot normally telling you what key to press. Some computers (most newer ones) have a key you can press (often F12) to bring up the Boot Menu from where you can select the CD/DVD drive to boot from.

If you don't have an XP CD, download and run ARCDC by Artellos. It will download the required files from the Microsoft Web site and create a .iso file. It will also offer to burn the iso image to a CD for you. If you don't do it then, there is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do it at a later time. If you're unsure how to do this, you can follow the tutorial here: How to Burn an ISO File. This can be done from any computer.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.

Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, enter: chkdsk /r
Allow it to complete undisturbed. It can take an hour or more depending on the size of the hard drive.

Remove the CD, type exit and the computer will reboot. Hopefully that will have fixed the problem (corrupted file system).
I pressed R to do the recovery console and for some reason it didn't ask me which windows to log onto. I got the command prompt and I typed chkdsk /r then pressed enter. But I got a blue screen error that said: c0000139 {entry point not found} The procedure entry NTserializeboot could not be located in the dynamic library ntdll.dll.
Sounds like the hard drive may be defective. I hope you have your important data backed up. Are you using your own XP CD or did you use the Recovery Disc that Artelos creates? If your own, try the Artelos one.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI