So I tried starting my laptop earlier and I couldnt get into my windows at all. Once I start my computer the following is what pops up:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart youre computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.
If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed harware or software. Disable BIOS mempry options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.
Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8518EDD8, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
I don't know what to do. I can't get any further, even in safe mode or other modes. I haven't downloaded anything new within the past week and I haven't gone to any websites that I haven't before. The only information I can offer is that is was running slower today.
Please Help me!
Hi, Sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing.
This error does not always mean that your hard drive has failed (or is failing)…so there is hope…..
It is sometimes possible to repair the situation by using the "Recovery Console" and for this you will need your Microsoft Windows Installation disc…..lets hope you have one.
(if not you can borrow one from a chum….but do make sure its the right one)
Here's a link to the repair instructions. http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=145429
This may help you resolve the situation, but quite often (not always) with a fault of this nature it is necessary to reinstall your operating system (Windows)…either on your current drive or a new one.
If this is necessary you will bless the day that you ensured that your back up/copy/archive of all your important stuff was 100% up to date ,accurate and reproducible….
If you have important things on your machine that would create a problem for you if they were lost, and for some reason you have not backed them up or copied or archived them safely on removable media, then this I think should be your first priority.
As your machine won't boot into Windows you could try a Live Linux disc….(Linux Puppy 4.1.2 is available from here: http://www.puppylinux.org/
and this may be able to mount your hard drive so that you can copy your important things off.
Alternatively you could remove the hard drive and fit it to another machine and try to pull off the data that way….an external USB caddy is another alternative….
If your hard drive has completely failed then getting data off (at a reasonable cost is likely to be problematic)
Lastly if you have made a disc image and this is kept safe on removable media and either includes data back up or you have an up to date separate back then you should be up and running in next to no time
Good luck
Regards
paws