This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Unable to create shortcut on desktop

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I was following a tutorial on how to put an item on the desktop that involved making a shortcut on the desktop first. I clicked new, shortcut half a dozen times to do this, but it seems it will just not work. Is there something that may have been removed that is needed to create a shortcut there, or am I just stuck with not being able to do it. Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered. hedley
You could also find the program you want to create a shortcut for. Right click on the exe file that starts the program and then Scroll down to the line that says Send To.
Then scroll over and down in the little window to Desktop (Create Shortcut) and click on that. This will create the shortcut on the desktop for you. :thumbup:
Thanks for the replies. Ztrucker, that's what I should get and there's my problem. I don't get anything at all. It is impossible to create a shortcut on the desktop using the context menu from the desktop. I can get 'new' & 'shortcut', I just don't get the shortcut. I can create any other sort of shortcut on the context menu on the desktop, but not a 'new shortcut'. rshaffer61, the tutorial is actually how to create a shutdown shortcut on the desktop, so I need to create a shortcut on the desktop first. Isn't there something in windows that can check for missing windows files and repair/replace them, if that is the problem? Thanks for the help. hedley

rshaffer61, the tutorial is actually how to create a shutdown shortcut on the desktop, so I need to create a shortcut on the desktop first.

What tutorial?
I didn't link to anything and the instructions I gave were for you to go to the folder where the program is located you are trying to create the shortcut for.
Right click on the file that starts the program and then click on Send To then on Desktop in the little window.
This creates the shortcut for you.



Isn't there something in windows that can check for missing windows files and repair/replace them, if that is the problem?

Yes it is called System File Checker or SFC for short.



Go HERE and read the tutorial that shows how to do SFC or System File Checker and running in a Elevated Command Prompt in Vista and Win7.
Thanks for the replies & the links. rshaffer61, sorry for any confusion. I said in my original post that I was trying to follow a tutorial. That is what I was referring to in my answer. Used SFC, everything reported as ok. Ztrucker, the link you gave proved very useful. I have now solved my problem and bookmarked it for future reference. Thanks again for the help hedley
Thanks for letting us know you have resolved the issue.
Congratulations. :rockon: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI