Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Windows 7 Explorer Very Slow or Not Responding at all!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SCLUCAS

SCLUCAS

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

Hello!

For the past few weeks, my Dell Studio 1569 with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64 has been having an issue, specifically with Windows Explorer. When I simply open WE, the system locks up. Same if I try to move or delete files/folders. I've let the system sit for a while and at times it will respond. However, this happens to consistently that I often have to kill the process, where I get a message saying the process is unresponsive (close, relaunch the program etc...).

I really can't say that I have made any known changes, or installed anything lately. I run Norton Internet Security (latest, and patched). I've run virus scans and Malware Bytes today (nothing found). I've run just about every system tool (disc, system and hardware checks). Nothing.

Looking for any support or feedback here. Really frustrating, especially because it is only happening with WE.

I run a test using PC Pitstop Overdrive. Here is the URL to the test results:
http://pcpitstop.com...;report=Summary

Greatly appreciate any suggested next steps!

Thanks!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

Advanced startup options - XP
Advanced startup options - Vista
Advanced startup options - Windows 7

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:05 AM

I've run just about every system tool (disc, system and hardware checks). Nothing.

Just gathering more information here. Please tell us what test/tool you have run. For example, did you run the System File Checker (SFC) tool?

If you have not run SFC, I am NOT suggesting you run it now as I agree with Rich and suspect something you have starting with Windows is causing this problem. So please follow his guidance first.

Hmmmm, it seems Microsoft is having problems delivering that KB webpage this morning. So see here.
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#4 SCLUCAS

SCLUCAS

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

Gents, First off, thank you for the immediate response and suggested troubleshooting steps. My issue seems to be fixed, but I can't give a pin-point explanation of what fixed it. I had a tech buddy give me a few suggestions yesterday, and he's what I did: - Buddy suggested that Windows Explorer was hanging because is was searching some disable FTP shares that we use for work. I deleted these shares. - I played around with Windows Search/Indexing, and removed some shares from this config. - I ran RegCure Pro (latest). This had an immediate impact to over system performance, and WE no longer hangs. Apparently found a lot of Active X conflicts, invalid reg entries etc... - I did run MSCONFIG as instructed, and I basically eliminated about 20 Start-up items like HP, Apple, MS Intellipoint, Java, Adobe updates etc... - I did run SFC just for kicks. It found no issues. Everything is running smooth right now, and we can close this. If it happens again, I will run the suggested steps again. Thanks much!

#5 SCLUCAS

SCLUCAS

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

OK, Forget that last update! Windows Explorer is hosed again already! Hangs and completely unresponsive and needs to be closed constantly. I just booted in SAFE MODE, and everything responds instantly. No hangs, very fast. Some process that boots up in normal mode must be running and conflicting with WE. I will run MSCONFIG and test processes until I can find something. Please hang tight! Thanks!

#6 SCLUCAS

SCLUCAS

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:52 PM

Ran MSCONFIG. Disabled all Start-ups. Also disabled all Services except MS services. Windows Explorer is running perfect. No issues, very fast. Now will add services in a few at a time to see if I can find the one causing the issues. Hang tight! Thanks!

#7 momhisattva

momhisattva

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

what was the result of this thread? I have the same problem as SCLUCAS just a year later, I also ran Malwarebytes and Norton with them finding nothing. Even using msconfig to disable services and startup items does nothing - still slow slow slow. As a matter of fact it was difficult for me to access msconfig. I have the same problem with the system in Safe Mode. I can get to folders easily but accessing any file takes the system at least 2 minutes to respond. CPU, memory usage and paging are fine. Suggestions?

#8 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

Hi momhisattva, Sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing, and welcome to the WTT forums 1 If you have the same problem with your machine when its running in safe mode.... then its likely a different problem from that reported by the original poster. 2 It may therefore be wise to post a new topic describing the exact symptoms, including, when they happen, what you have done so far to try and fix it and the results. Details of your computer, make and model number and your operating system are all useful information. These together with the answers to the following questions will assist in you receiving prompt and accurate advice. 3 Have you tried setting up a new user account on your computer and seeing if that improves matters? 4 Does the problem exist when you are working offline (not connected to the Internet?) 5 Have you installed more than one anti virus product running resident in memory? 6 Have any P2P file sharing applications ever been installed on your computer? torrents etc? 7 If you boot to a live distro of Linux (Puppy is good) do you still have the same issues? 8 Have you run chkdsk with the r switch? 9 Have you run sfc /scannow? 10 How much free disc space do you have on each partition of your hard drive? Regards paws

Edited by paws, 21 July 2013 - 07:25 AM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate