This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows XP/OS problems

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have an XP system SP3 (2yrs old). About 2 months ago, it started to slowdown significantly. Everything is much slower, ie, applications (Outlook, IE, Word, Acrobat, etc) – and there other symptoms. There is now Excessive and Constant accessing of the hard disk (hard disk is fully de-fragged). Below I have listed Symptoms – please note each and all of them as they are all affected. Also, I have listed the condition of the System and what has been done to it recently. I know that you will first have me run diagnostics to get you the basic info. Please be specific in your instructions. Also this needs to be handed to a senior technician as it seems to be a high level problem. SYMPTOMS OF PROBLEMS: 1. System is now considerable slow for every task 2. Outlook, IE, Word, Acrobat, etc but are still working – but almost crawling 3. Excessive access of hard disk – Hard disk is defragged and maintained using Norton 360 4. EXPLORER - example of problem: When attempting to click on “File” in Explorer to create a new file, it takes about 25 seconds before responding – abnormally too slow 5. Example: right-clicking on an desktop icon takes too long for menu to appear – COULD ALL OF THIS BE A SYSTEMS/WINDOWS ACCESS OR INDEX PROBLEM? CONDITION OF SYSTEM / EVENTS 1. About 2 months ago, my desktop icons had disappeared. So I performed a SYSTEM RESTORE. It worked ok and icons were restored. It was about a couple of weeks after, that I notices system slowdown 2. SYSTEM RESTORE- I have attempted to do another System Restore, but none of the Restore Points are now working 3. I have Norton 360. I have used it to do systems maintenance, ie, Registry clean-up, hard disk clean-up, Maintain via a Startup Manager, etc
How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

Advanced startup options - XP
Advanced startup options - Vista
Advanced startup options - Windows 7

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.

Also, uninstall all things Norton/Symantec. Install Microsoft Security Essentials for Anti-virus.
📎Startups.pdf Thank you Ztruker. Attached is the list of Startup programs on my systsm. As stated, I use Norton to manage the Startup programs (did you read what I had listed in my first post?). Note that there are only 12 programs and I have 4 of them on delayed start. I am welling to delete all of the 12 programs if you beleive this is where the problem is. Also, I do not want to uninstall Norton as I am paying for it and it seems to be working ok – unless you want me to unistall it for the testing we need to do or you beleive it is culprit. Please advise. Once I hear from about about the above–assuming you still want me to continue with your 1st suggestions–I will then proceed with the msconfig & Services recommendations. Did you need any reports out of the system to give you the basis info? Thanks
Hi masatwtt,

As stated, I use Norton to manage the Startup programs (did you read what I had listed in my first post?).

You will find that Ztruker always reads the total contents of each post.

assuming you still want me to continue with your 1st suggestions–I will then proceed with the msconfig & Services recommendations

It would be wise to follow Ztrukers recommendations if you wish to resolve these problems..
Rest assured that if Ztruker requires any more information then he will ask you for it.
Regards
paws
Ztruker/Paws Which one of you is assigned to help with the PC problems I have? I am still confused as the next steps having not received an answer for my questions – ie, 1. Sent the list of Starups, attached - what is the next steps 2. I need an answer to this - "Also, I do not want to uninstall Norton as I am paying for it and it seems to be working ok – unless you want me to unistall it for the testing we need to do or you beleive it is culprit. Please advise. " I need to resolve this fast - please advise if you can help. If not, please suggest alternative. Or do I need to restart a topic? Thanks,
Hi masatwtt,
I think you may misunderstand how the WTT forum here on WinXP OS works.
No one is"assigned"
We are all volunteers. Whether you accept the procedures indicated here on the forum is up to you… (its your computer and your call)
Rest assured we won't be upset if you decide to disregard them…

The next step that we recommend is that you follow the procedures outlined by Ztruker in his first post.

As he indicated…Booting into safe mode with networking is the first step…. if it solves or reduces the problem significantly then it indicates that something that is loading in normal mode but not in safe mode is likely a prime suspect.
NOTE this has very little to do with the Startup list your provided)

Then using msconfig it can be relatively simple procedure to isolate the culprit.

The startup list you sent was not requested and the procedure indicated by Ztruker is the one we recommend you follow.

You can of course defer if you wish uninstalling Norton, but as long as you have kept safe the executable file (to reinstall it if you decide to do so) and its product serial key then it should be easy to reinstall if you should choose to do so. However MSE as indicated by Ztruker has a good anti virus/antispyware engine and is lighter on system resources…improving somewhat overall performance, generally speaking as a consequence.

After you have uninstalled Norton (using Control Panel Add and Remove… ) do not forget to reboot….
It is best then to apply the Norton uninstall tool that you can download (in advance) from Symantec's site.
Then reboot again.
NOTE when you boot into safe mode with networking your protections including your anti virus and firewall may not be working effectively, so carry out only a short but comprehensive test, maximum 2 minutes, visiting only one trusted site.
for example:
www.bbc.co.uk
definitely no surfing and no downloading of emails!
Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI