This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Same 3 Microsoft Windows Security Updates continuous notifications

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

About the last 3 days or so, I noticed the updates when completed did not require restart of computer…as they always had in the past.

The updates began to appear more frequently, but I didn't pay much attention until today when the notification began to reappear within a minute or so of completing the installation.

The updates are the same 3 every time.

XP x 86 (KB2572073)
XP x 86 (KB2633880)
XP x 86 (KB2518864)

I tried going to Microsoft forums, used two different Microsoft "Fix-It" tools recommended, no good.

I tried disabling firewall (sygate) and then installing…still same thing

I looked at history of updates, and it shows these three as being successfully installed several times.

Hopefully this is an easy fix so I don't have to waste your time :)

The only thing different I've done within the last 3 days, was to get a new cable modem from my provider (not sure if that could be an issue.)
Hi eBayvictim, First off, turn off auto updates. If these updates are installing and then repeating their notifications, turn off auto-updates and then un-install them from add and remove programs, With auto-updates still turned off, go to windows update and let it scan for updates and install them one at a time, rebooting between each install. Now turn auto updates back on and see if that has fixed the problem. Cheers, Lee
thanks lee….can you tell me how and what to uninstall in programs? just a bit confused on that bit. note: I like to use CCleaner tools because it shows items that the start menu in windows doesn't always show…is that ok?
CC cleaner will not show you the windows updates and if you do like using that program (excellent for removing temp. files), I would strongly advise against using the reg. cleaner as the reg. is far better at looking after itself ..left alone, except for expert surgery when needed.
It is the spinal-cord of your operating system. Would you like your local car mechanic to operate on yours (as that is what any reg. cleaner or optimizer is, a non-surgeon)?

Now where was I ?

Oh yes, "add and remove" :lol:

Go to start / control panel / add and remove programs and tick "show updates" at the top.
[attachment removed]

Scroll down the page where you are looking for -
(KB2572073)
(KB2633880)
(KB2518864)


Uninstall all or any of them and re-boot and then follow my instruction in my last post -

With auto-updates still turned off, go to windows update and let it scan for updates and install them one at a time, rebooting between each install. Now turn auto updates back on and see if that has fixed the problem.


Cheers,
Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI