Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

HELP! Windows Update won't update....

Windows Update

Best Answer tasman27 , 15 February 2015 - 03:29 PM

FYI, After consulting with a Level 2 MS Tech, he decided the only way to restore the Windows Upgrade program was to Refresh Win 8, which we did. I had to B/U all my data and note the programs that I had downloaded from the Internet (no disc)as usi... Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tasman27

tasman27

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:56 AM

Hi,

I was working on my wife's PC when I noticed she had 17 Windows updates that were not automaticaly downloaded and installed. When I attempted to do it, I received several error messages. She has a Gateway I-5 that uses Win8.0.

I tried several things including disabling the Norton Internet suite, running chkdsk /f, sfc/scannow and DISM.exe but nothing seems to work. It downloads the 17updates but when it reboots to install, it gets to abt 35% then says it failed and is restoring the changes. The error messages I've received are KB 800703F1, 8007371C, and at one time I got 80240016.

I'm puzzled...I believe I had this happen a few years back and it was attributed to the AV pgm at the time (not the same PC now). An article I read said this is sometimes caused by a PC that is left on and not updated frequently, causing it to lose it's "token", which can usually be replaced by changing the Update settting and resetting it. Tried that, it didn't work.

Can anyone help?   :wall:

Thanks,

Taz

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:11 PM

Try running DISM and SFC from a Elevated Command Prompt:

Press WIN + X to open Start context menu.

Select Command Prompt (Admin)​.

Run the following, up to 3 times until all errors are resolved.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

sfc /scannow

Try updates again. Try install a few at a time if all won't apply.

Post back with results.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 tasman27

tasman27

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:14 AM

I followed the instruction but it didn't allow me to install the updates. I'm attaching the screenshots of the diagnostics. It's asking for a "Source" to fix a file and I'm not sure where to find it! The PC is running a bit better, but otherwise I'm still where I started - unable to install the updates.

What do I try next?

Taz

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot (2).png
  • Screenshot (1).png

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:11 AM

The only fix I've seen for that particular DISM problem is to reinstall. Nothing else has worked. I had the same problem and messed with it for several months before I reinstalled, which did fix it.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#5 tasman27

tasman27

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:48 AM

Since this PC was purchased with Win 7 installed and Win 8 was an upgrade, is this going to be a complicated issue? Will I lose any information or programs in the reinstall or will it just overwrite the installed OS?

If I don't have a OS Win 7 disc, how will I reinstall?

Taz

#6 tasman27

tasman27

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:00 AM

Anyone know the answer?

#7 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:11 AM

Hi tasman27,

before you go in for a Refresh or a Reset, it might be worth trying a System Restore Point if you can action one created before the problem started.

If this doesnt do the trick then take a look here:

http://windows.micro...efresh-reset-pc

You will see the steps to take that will keep your files relatively intact..... but as always make sure your back up is 100% and that you have good verified disc images of your win 8 system, ( just as you should have for your Win 7 set up) so you can at least put things back should anything go wrong.

A final thought before you start doing anything.( apart from backing up and making sure you have extra copies of your disc images kept safely on removable media, offsite.....) Have you tried visiting the Windows store and downloading the update for win 8.1...??.....if not then you should try this, you will need to log in with a Microsoft account to visit the Win store.

Post back and let us know how things go.

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#8 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:52 PM

tasman, how did you perform the Windows 8 upgrade?  Did you do it from disc?

Windows 8 has a handy feature to download missing files from windows update automatically which I think is awesome - except for when it isn't.  This feature allows Windows 8 to automatically fix windows update issues that used to completely hose a Windows 7 system or at least be extremely difficult to repair.  

However, it appears your system has been unable to download the files it needs with the dism tool from windows update.

However, there are many ways to get the source files that are needed.  If you have a disc, you can use that.  If you have another computer running the same version of Windows, you can use that.

First, try to reset the windows update components to get windows update working to the point dism will run.  Use the following Microsoft Fix It to do it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Next, try the following command again: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If it still fails with a source not found error you can specify the source if you have source files available as I mentioned above.

The command to specify a source is: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess

You would then replace the C:\RepairSource\Windows with the path to your source files.  If you have a windows 8.0 dvd then it would be something like D:\Sources\SxS or E:\Sources\SxS - whatever the drive letter of your dvd drive is.

Also, if you are running Windows 8.0 you should upgrade to 8.1 and maybe the upgrade to Windows 8.1 will work and fix these issues.  Last, you may try installing the missing updates 1 by 1, or in small groups until you identify which ones fail.  Not all may fail, and sometimes they'll even all install if you do this.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#9 tasman27

tasman27

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:08 AM

Ok...I have tried everything that both posters have written and so far no luck.

The system restore points don't go back far enough to when the udates stopped installing. My wife hasn't made an image disk and she has quite a few programs that have been installed via disk and internet d/l so I'm cautious not to use the 'refresh' method for fear of losing some of her programs that aren't backed up - quite frankly would be quite tedious to re-install all of them should we lose them. I have, however made a disk of the current image which I have on a DVD.

Apparently, this PC already came with Win 8 pre-loaded so what I thought I had, isn't. No Win 7 on this PC, just Win 8. I did go to the MS link and performed that task which didn't change the situation :(

I tried the DISM strand and the PC said that it worked, however when trying to d/l and install the updates, the error messages didn't change. I continue to get x80240016. When I look this up, it refers to losing the user token and that it has to be 'reset'.. That gives me a few fixes to try and they don't work, still not allowing the PC to download the updates.

As a last resort, I even tried downloading the updates by date and one at a time, trying the oldest first to the newest....that didn't work either. It's strange in that it allows the updates for IE and MS Office to install, but not the security updates to Windows.

Maybe I haven't described this issue properly:

When I attempt to download the updates, I get a progress bar that indicates I have downloaded 17 updates, but below it it says that the downloads were tried at (time) and status failed. It then prompts me to restart the PC now or it will automatically restart in 2 days. I click on restart..

it now goes to a blue screen which indicates that updates 1-17 are being installed, do not restart computer!

After it completes the installation, it then reboots and another blue screen comes up indicating that Windows is now attempting to configure the Windows updates, immediately jumps to 35% completed, idles for a bit, then says that it has failed to reconfigure the updates and is reverting the changes.

Now when I did the repairs in the link, which was the MS FIXIT, it ran and gave me the following errors that were 'fixed":

Some security settings are missing or have been changed

Service registration is missing or corrupt

Windows Update error 0x80070057 (2015-2-8-T-11_37_33a)

Problems installing recent updates

I guess I don't know for sure that the FixIt program actually fixed these errors or not.

The last successful update was performed om 11/13/14...there are a few from Dec, Jan, and Feb that are outstanding right now.

As far as running the DISM script, will the DVD that I made serve as a 'source' for the DISM and contain the files necessary to repair the update program even though it's currently not working?

So as it stands right now, the PC works fine, it just isn't updating. Would the Norton Internet Suite need to be disabled during any of these fixes proposed, ie AV, firewall. malware, etc?

Taz

#10 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:40 PM

Hello and thank you for your detailed information.

From what I gather, you ran the fixit tool I suggested and then ran the DISM command again which completed without the "missing sources," error this time.  That's good.  That means that windows update was repaired to the point that DISM could replace missing resource files.  That step is done.  There is no reason to attempt further repairs with DISM.

Does the 'installing updates / reboot / updates failed' routine happen every time you attempt to restart, or only after you attempt another installation of updates?

According to my research your error means another installation is already in progress.  This makes perfect sense actually.  This sometimes happens when windows starts installing updates automatically and then you attempt to go in and manually install updates at the same time.  That's usually when I see this problem and just restarting is enough to fix it.  You apparently have something else stuck.  However, check your notification tray to see if Windows really is trying to install updates.  It will tell you, and maybe you are interrupting it.  If not, try the built in windows update troubleshooter.  A link to get you started is here: https://support.micr...4?wa=wsignin1.0

If that fails to work, please run the original microsoft fixit to reset windows update that I provided earlier and try to install updates again.

I also want to emphasize that if you are not running Windows 8.1 then that should also be a priority.  Getting that installed may fix these issues and Windows 8.1 is a welcome update.

Edited by appleoddity, 09 February 2015 - 12:48 PM.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.

#11 tasman27

tasman27

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:34 PM

OK...

(Does the 'installing updates / reboot / updates failed' routine happen every time you attempt to restart, or only after you attempt another installation of updates?)

Happens everytime I attempt to restart

{According to my research your error means another installation is already in progress.} I saw that a few times but couldn't confirm it....I don't always get that message.

I ran both the latter and the former links that you gave me. Neither has cleared it up. It seems like I'm a hampster in a wheel, it keeps doing the exact same thing. I tried d/l and install JUST ONE update and got the error x8007F31 which means that there's a corrupt hive. I also attempted to upgrade to Win 8.1 but it won't let me. When I attempt to open the Win store, it opens then reverts back to my regular desktop. I researched that error and it said to be able to upgrade, you need KB 2871389 and KB 2917499. Well, I have the first but not the second file. The second one is part of what is not downloading. I attempted to manually d/l it, but it says my version won't support a 'standalone" download of that file.

I did notice, however that going back in the download history that a singular file attempted to d/l on 11/6/2014 and failed for a week thru 11/13/2014. The error message was 0x80070004 described as  English ESD Bundle Parent. That's when all the files stopped downloading after 11/13/2014. So, at this point I can't get 8.1 as I don't have the second file needed, unless you have an idea how I can get it downloaded?

Taz

#12 tasman27

tasman27

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:41 PM

That error is 0x800703F1....sorry

#13 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:35 PM

Ok. That error is different.

Can you please run the DISM command again and confirm that it does not produce any errors?

#14 tasman27

tasman27

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:59 PM

OK....I was researching the different files that needed to be updated and found that Microsoft has some issues. I went to their Knowledge base and found numerous articles on Update not working with the same error codes I'm getting.

It turns out they are sending out updates for some aspects of Win 8 that are no longer needed. Therefore it creates a conundrum in that the PC tries to d/l them, but the file has nowhere to go, therefore the error codes. In addition, I was able to get the stand alone updater to work for some of the files and it's telling me that the files are already installed in the computer! So, those particular files weren't listed in the history as having beed successfully downloaded, so.....I called Microsoft and it turns out this PC is still under 'warranty' for the O/S so I'm going to let them fix it!

I had a MS Tech on the phone for 30 mins and they did their remote thing...they found as many as 6 files in the Registry that were 'infected' and were removed. In the end, they haven't fixed it as yet, but I'm being elevated to a Level 2 tech support as they were getting the same errors as I was. I'm interested in finding out what the infection was, what files it attacked and the dates.

I will post here what they did to fix it in case anyone is interested. No need to take up anyone else's time with what appears to be an MS issue right now.

Thanks everyone for the assistance and I WILL post whatever results I get from them for an FYI future notes!

Thanks once again....

Taz

#15 tasman27

tasman27

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 03:29 PM   Best Answer

FYI,

After consulting with a Level 2 MS Tech, he decided the only way to restore the Windows Upgrade program was to Refresh Win 8, which we did. I had to B/U all my data and note the programs that I had downloaded from the Internet (no disc)as using this method does wipe out those types of files.

I have an NAS, so I backed up everything to that and did the refresh. It seemed to do the trick as I can now update the O/S. In addition, he recommended that I d/l and install Win8.1 which has fixed some of the bugs in 8. With all that accomplished, I now have a working PC that has all the files and programs updated.

I wish I had better news of a 'fix', but this was actually good. I strongly suggest that you have backups for everything on your PC. Purchasing and installing an NAS HD has been a blessing for me on my home network.

Thanks for all the time and assistance in attempting to fix the PC! I hope this bit of info helps out others who may also have this issue with theirs.

Taz

Edited by tasman27, 15 February 2015 - 03:31 PM.