I have installed this software (provided by clients) at work locations. The last time I installed, not sure of which particular printer version, however I was unable to uninstall the first version. Since I needed a printer, I went ahead and ATTEMPTED to install the second printer.
The second installed partially, scanner was never able to function.
After leaving the job, I'm attempting to remove the software without much luck. The add/removve utlity goes part way through the process and seemed to work, but both instances are still present in the add/remove utility.
I deleted all the files and folders, deleted printers, but the only error on one of SOFTWARE\Brother\Printer\Information\PrinterName is missing—yes since I removed all of them. The other instance just runs without deleting the instance.
Two questions arise;
1: How am I able to "remove" the program from the lap top? That is from the Add/Remove Utility.
2. In the msconfig there are three files that were being used and are now removed. I don't get an error when booting up but how may I remove these from the start up?
Thanks
From your description of your activity, you appear to be either a tech or the "go-to-guy" for a variety of users.
Therefore, please forgive me if the following recommendation is something that you have already reviewed, or if it appears to be overly elementary as advice.
The only thing they do not include is a precaution to make a backup copy of Registry before making changes in Registry.
It is "not" always sufficient to create a Restore Point as a method for backing up.
You "can" select to "export" the entire Registry or the portion you will be working on, as a backup.
or
Use an utility such as ERUNT (this is a better option)
If you require additional information about backing up the Registry, please post back with your questions.
_______________
If the above fails to correct the situation, you may benefit from considering a competent Uninstall tool such as Revo Uninstaller.
Ok, did that and could not open any of the pnf files. Did a search on them and found several applications that indicate they will open them
PC_Cleaner_Pro_installer
SpeedyPC Pro Insraller
RegistryReviverSetup
Which all look like fishing attempt to "buy me".
Any program you might recommend to open them?
The second part of the instructions to delete brother files from Twain_32 was completed.
the ".PNF" file (Preconfigured Inf File) is "not to be opened.
Each ".inf" file can be opened in NotePad.
When opened in NotePad, the first line will announce the associated program or application, the second line will announce the Publisher, following that will be Revision number and date, the Copyright attribution, and finally any Edit date. After that identifying information will follow the actual coded instructions of the ".inf" file.
Use NotePad to read the ".inf" file. If it is attributed to Brother, then delete it.
Every ".inf" file is also immediately followed by a paired ".PNF" file with the same naming protocol.
You should DELETE the ".inf" files associated with Brother, plus DELETE the associated paired ".PNF"
If you have gone through the whole list and only DELETED the ".inf" files associated with Brother, you may not be able to determine which ".PNF" files were associated by same-name protocol with the ".inf" file.
If you sent the ".inf" files to your recycle-bin, you might benefit by restoring them, and then repeating the instructions to identify and DELETE, but this time DELETE both the identified ".inf" file labeled as part of Brother — PLUS delete the paired ".PNF" file
Alright question 1 has been completed and the printers are no longer in the Add/Remove utility.
Question 2 still remains though how to get rid of the startup files listed in msconfig, there are two
1: IndexSearch C:\Program Files\Scansoft\PaperPort\IndexSearch.exe location SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windos\CurrentVersion\Run
2: pptd40nt C:\Program Files\Scansoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe location SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windos\CurrentVersion\Run
The folder ScanSoft no longer exists I'm not sure where the location exists. Again no error exists, but I did want to clean them up since ScanSoft was part of the Brother situation
It is not "necessary" to remove items in MSCONFIG - Startups after they have been un-selected by removing the checkmark/tick from the box which appears in front of each item.
It is, however, "possible" to do so.
The Registry entry for any such items is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg
You can, if you wish, manually remove the related item(s) from that location in the Registry, which will result in the item no longer appearing in MSCONFIG - Startups
(Note: making any mistakes in this section of the Registry may cause necessary applications and processes become unavailable if you mistakenly remove them.)
As always, you are advised to make a full backup of your Registry "before" making any changes.
Restore Point – is not sufficient
Exported Registry .reg file is better and is usually sufficient.
Use of the well respected ERUNT is advised.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI