Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

BSOD, is my OS now unstable and can someone help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BnTheMan

BnTheMan

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

Just recently, I found out that it is possible to setup a wifi hitspot with Windows 7. I was trying to accomplish this by using Connectify and connecting my Android cell phone to transfer files to my pc with no success. I have been trying to figure this thing out, on what could be causing this l, for the past week up until earlier this night when I had received a BSOD. I have searched for the BSOD file error, and many results cqme back reporting that it is a McAfee file driver that has caused this problem. I was first thinking how could this be when I had disabled all McAfee services and startup files through msconfig. Interestingly, when i first called McAfee the technichian said that McAfee can still be running in the background. However, she then mentioned that since this a OEM version that i should report this to Dell but my warrenty only covers hardware. I tried explainging that to the girl, as well tried convincing her that if you suspect that McAfee has caused my OS to be unoperable then how is it not there fault. She said I had 2 options. Pay McAfee profession support to fix the issue or i could call my Computer Manufacture. So i am asking in here, if anyone can help or tell me if my system is now unstable even though i was able to successfully reboot the computer without any OS problems being additionally reported. my Pc specs are Windows 764 bit 4GB ram and 1TB of hard drive space. Also, the file that was reported in the BSOD was mfehidk.sys

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

Uninstall McAfee from Control Panel, Programs and Features.
Download and run the McAfee Removal Tool.
Download and install Windows Security Essentials for your Anti-virus.

That should solve the McAfee problem completely.

Edited by Ztruker, 13 March 2012 - 08:41 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 BnTheMan

BnTheMan

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

I think i do not fully explain everything. If i uninstall McAfee, i will also lose my firewall.What do you think of Comodo? Would Comodo be a good choice? Also, what about the stability of Windows. I have not seen to many issues, except for when running Maya 2012. I do not understand why the technician said that she believes the BSOD has now caused my operating system to be unstable, unless she was trying to sell McAfee premium technical support. Is there any tools I could run just to be sure?

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

The firewall in Windows 7 is very good. Why do you feel you need another? I stopped using other firewalls after XP SP3 and have not used one other than what comes with Windows since, XP, Vista and now Windows 7.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown