This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Two Blue Screens of Death... unrelated?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey guys, I've just had a massive BSOD which resulted in a minidump that wasn't quite complete…but gave me enough information. This is the second BSOD that I have had in two days, but as far as I can see they are unrelated. The first one happened yesterday whilst playing a game called Race Driver GRID. For someone reason there was a driver fault surrounding MRV13B.sys. I've had this fault before and it's to do with my netgear drivers. The second, and slightly more perplexing fault, came just now. I was on skype to a friend, doing some stuff on Google Chrome and playing a game called Trackmania. My whole system went nuts and was able to make a minidump, albeit with missing time stamps. this time round there was a conflict with Skype and another vista driver, this time it was mfehidk.sys. For the life of me I can't figure out what that driver is and my Googling has turned up with some sort of fault with McAfee, which I have had installed for a couple of months now. All if this may be completely irrelevant because I'll be installing Windows 7 in a week, but I am a little concerned that this could be more than just a driver failure. I have attached the minidump analysis if someone needs to look at them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your response. As I said, I did have a look and other people are having a problem with mfehidk.sys and McAffee…but my BSOD is to do with Skype. It's not quite the same stop error. It's not a recurring problem and I haven't been able to replicate it since, but I think it is related to a bunch of updates that were released in October. I had some initial problems with failed boots, which were fixed with a system restore and uninstallation of said updates. I have since reinstalled the updates and had two failed boots, and now 3 BSOD's. Unless my rig is falling to pieces, which I doubt, I think Microsoft has released some dodgy updates.
Did you update any drivers with Windows updates? MRVW13B.sys is related to device driver for Marvell 802.11 NIC. Manufacturer: Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. <— do you have this driver?
Yes I do, like I said originally, the MRV13B.sys is a netgear driver , which uses the Marvel 802.11 NIC chip. The driver hasn't been updated for at least 6 months though.
Have you done any antivirus/antimalware scans? If you have, did they find anything other than tracking cookies?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI