Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

motel wifi

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

If I am at a motel with wifi, I cannot use my router as nothing plugs into it-correct? I need to have an ethernet cable to plug into my router to be protected-right? I am just checking as the motel has just wi fi and am relutant to just use my a/v program and software firewall. Would you agree I am not secure? Thank you

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

Hi Peter, Its the motel's router and wireless access point you will be using (so you can leave your own router at home) When using a motel's wi fi its a good idea to check that your software firewall is running, with either the one within Win 7 or a third Party firewall like for example Zone Alarm, Its your call of course but you may want to think long and hard before using the motel's wi fi for "sensitive or confidential stuff," like for example Internet banking.... but for routine use keep your fingers crossed, click wisely, make sure your anti virus is up to date and all security updates for Windows are installed and with the latest versions of products like Flash, Java, Adobe etc where older versions had vulnerabilities.... If you are off on vacation or a family break, then have a good time! Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:28 AM

Thank you, paws. I think we will be at a motel that has an ethernet connection. I never use wi fi as it is too dangerous. I wonder if I can use my router even though they are the adnmin for extra security or will it cause issues? I have an a/v program and a software firewall.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

Hi Peter, if you can plug into an ethernet port in your room then this will connect to the motel's router and it should all work OK, or maybe they will allow you to connect directly into the router if its a small establishment. I'm not familiar with how motels work in the USA but "this side of the pond" (in the UK) a motel owner would be unlikely to permit use of a guest's own router on his network ..... In any event it would be unlikely to provide any extra protection and would most likely cause all sort of problems! Bearing in mind the protections you have up and running on your computer there should not be any problems.... Hope this helps Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

Hi Peter,
if you can plug into an ethernet port in your room then this will connect to the motel's router and it should all work OK, or maybe they will allow you to connect directly into the router if its a small establishment.
I'm not familiar with how motels work in the USA but "this side of the pond" (in the UK) a motel owner would be unlikely to permit use of a guest's own router on his network .....

In any event it would be unlikely to provide any extra protection and would most likely cause all sort of problems!
Bearing in mind the protections you have up and running on your computer there should not be any problems....

Hope this helps
Regards
paws

Paws, I did what you told me on the last trip and had no issues so will do it again. I was just curious to know if my router would help. I see where I am better off without it.
Thank you.

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

I use the provided WIFI at hotels when I travel. As was said, a good AV (MSE and MBAM Pro for me) and Firewall active and set to default values. I've never had a problem. I don't do anything risky in this environment though, like online banking or entering a credit card number. Strictly E-mail and web browsing.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#7 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Administrator

• MRU Teachers
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:57 AM

Useful article here on securing your PC when using w-fi in public places ..... http://mobileoffice....ot-security.htm

Edited by Gary R, 26 February 2012 - 12:59 AM.

#8 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:04 AM

Thank you for the tips. R -I have the same a/v + frewall as you except my MBAM is free.