If I am at a motel with wifi, I cannot use my router as nothing plugs into it-correct?
I need to have an ethernet cable to plug into my router to be protected-right?
I am just checking as the motel has just wi fi and am relutant to just use my a/v program and software firewall.
Would you agree I am not secure?
Thank you
Hi Peter,
Its the motel's router and wireless access point you will be using (so you can leave your own router at home)
When using a motel's wi fi its a good idea to check that your software firewall is running, with either the one within Win 7 or a third Party firewall like for example Zone Alarm,
Its your call of course but you may want to think long and hard before using the motel's wi fi for "sensitive or confidential stuff," like for example Internet banking…. but for routine use keep your fingers crossed, click wisely, make sure your anti virus is up to date and all security updates for Windows are installed and with the latest versions of products like Flash, Java, Adobe etc where older versions had vulnerabilities….
If you are off on vacation or a family break, then have a good time!
Regards
paws
Thank you, paws.
I think we will be at a motel that has an ethernet connection. I never use wi fi as it is too dangerous.
I wonder if I can use my router even though they are the adnmin for extra security or will it cause issues?
I have an a/v program and a software firewall.
Hi Peter,
if you can plug into an ethernet port in your room then this will connect to the motel's router and it should all work OK, or maybe they will allow you to connect directly into the router if its a small establishment.
I'm not familiar with how motels work in the USA but "this side of the pond" (in the UK) a motel owner would be unlikely to permit use of a guest's own router on his network …..
In any event it would be unlikely to provide any extra protection and would most likely cause all sort of problems!
Bearing in mind the protections you have up and running on your computer there should not be any problems….
Hope this helps
Regards
paws
Hi Peter,
if you can plug into an ethernet port in your room then this will connect to the motel's router and it should all work OK, or maybe they will allow you to connect directly into the router if its a small establishment.
I'm not familiar with how motels work in the USA but "this side of the pond" (in the UK) a motel owner would be unlikely to permit use of a guest's own router on his network …..
In any event it would be unlikely to provide any extra protection and would most likely cause all sort of problems!
Bearing in mind the protections you have up and running on your computer there should not be any problems….
Hope this helps
Regards
paws
Paws, I did what you told me on the last trip and had no issues so will do it again. I was just curious to know if my router would help. I see where I am better off without it.
Thank you.
I use the provided WIFI at hotels when I travel.
As was said, a good AV (MSE and MBAM Pro for me) and Firewall active and set to default values. I've never had a problem.
I don't do anything risky in this environment though, like online banking or entering a credit card number. Strictly E-mail and web browsing.