This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

unsecured network

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My wife will be doing business at an unsecured motel which has free Wi-Fi. There is an Ethernet jack in each room and I thought we could run an Ethernet cable from the jack to our router to the laptop. Would this help with security without configuring a lot, or is it just a waste of time. We travel infrequently so did not get a Verizon or ATT dongle. Thank you
Applying logic to this, No, it doesn't matter what you do\use, ultimately your data still passes through the unsecured network, being a hotel you'd like to think they would take care over such issues, but in my limited understanding, unsecured is unsecured, putting your router in the middle may help from the point of view of blocking unwanted incoming attempts, but the data you send still has to pass through the unsecured network, so I highly advise not to use, nor go to any kind of personal and\or important data, eg online banking, emails can be encrypted if you wanted to protect that, but as I have never looked into the secureness of this encryption I can't say if anyone else could still read it, I don't think they could, certainly not the average user, but it all depends on who has access to your data, so surf the net, go on forums etc, but do NOT do or use any potentially damaging personal info that could be used to steal your identity or worse, hope this helps a bit.
Thank you for that information. Is my machine, with a router, at lower risk from hackers, and malware than if I di not have it? I know some people can place a program in the machine to capture the keystrokes; does the router help in that respect? I am trying to decide whether to bring the router, or the pc for that matter, if greater harm is probable.. Sorry to split the hair and I don't want you to make up my mind, I just do not know about this issue. Thank you for your patience.
The ONLY safe way to do this is pull the plug, which defeats the purpose, so all you can do is use good protection, and common sense, when something jumps up or flashes your infected, or have won this that or the other (the most noticeable items) do NOT touch them, they are the infections waiting to be invited in by your following and clicking them, but you probably know all this anyway, but that it really. A router is simply a hardware firewall, which is as good as you can get pretty much, at least the last I knew anyway, but you also have a software firewall, this may not be as good as the hardware version, but in windows 7 it's the best it's ever been if I remember talks about it when first launched, that's pretty much all you have on most any system (routers are often supplied by the ISP, here at least), add an anti virus and anti spyware, then that's as good as you can get. Needless to say other tweaks and protection tools such as the Hosts file, and Spywareblaster for flash spyware, the other tool you can opt for is a 3rd party firewall, that gives outgoing control on top of incoming, or an additional control to enable outgoing protection to the existing firewall, and that's as much as a user could get, but outgoing protection can be overwhelming, because you have to research and identify just what it is asking to go out, it's better these days as a lot of known good software is pre checked for you, but when you first start you will get lots of warnings\requests (depending on your installed programs and usage), BUT, this does calm down very quickly once you get to grips with it, and is the most control you can get to my knowledge. Anything else is down to the network, if your on a secure network then you "SHOULD" be safe, but a quick chat with the pro's will probably prove it's still not a guarantee, but if the network is NOT secure, then your data is NOT secure, at least anything that you send through the network that is, if you have all the software on the PC as covered here, and have a secure network, that can still be accessed without the router, then you are still pretty safe, many run like this daily (especially before BB), and are as safe as can be, but if it is an unsecured network, anything sent on that network, is unprotected, no matter what you have on the PC, or using a router, these only block unwanted incoming traffic, and outgoing if you have this addition\option in use, but once the data hit the network that's it, no amount of protection you have will keep that safe, not unless you go down the route of getting encryption software and only sending encrypted files, then you are as safe as you could hope on an unsecured network, at least that's my understanding, others may know better, hope it helps a bit anyway.
Well, I certainly appreciate all of your information. I guess you type better than I do.(hunt +peck) I have understood all you have said and I'm as informed as I can be. I will let you know how things work out in a week. I will, however, plan on getting a dongle if the next trip is of considerable duration. I know some people would use Wi-Fi without worrying but that is why there is chocolate and vanilla. Thanks again for all your work.
I've never head of a (decent) hotel with an "unsecured" network (not even a public libary has unsecured internet). If it was unsecured, any guest could use it and avoid the hotel's internet fees. Hotels supply an internet access code if you wish to use their internet and that code is regularly changed. After all, they are catering for many business people who by default demand internet security!
It is the Spring Hill Suites by Marriott in FL and is rated highly. They said that everyone is ok to use the internet without a code. I guess we got the wrong place.
Marriot are quality hotels (good choice).

More hotels embrace free Wi-Fi in lobbies

March 7th 2013
More than 300 Marriott Hotels & Resorts locations will flip the switch in the coming weeks on free lobby Wi-Fi to please guests and non-guests alike, a senior Marriott executive tells USA TODAY's Hotel Check-In.


You won't have "lobby internet" (unsecured) in your room, you will have chargeable secured internet.

The free internet you have been told of is: "Complimentary wireless Internet access is available in public areas" (Marriot FL quote).
I am catching up as I just returned. I wanted to thank you for your help. There was an Ethernet cable but no passkey. I found the article to be informative. Someone suggested setting up a VM and running the internet activity that way but that is for mote4 knowledgeable people than I am. Peter
There is no code required with a cable, you are directly into the network as soon as you plug in, just like at home, it's only Wi-Fi that needs a key, and that's to ensure that only those with the key can access it, making it secure, if you can connect wirelessly without a key then it is not a secure network, the key simply locks out anyone trying to use it without permission, with a cable you are already in the property, and therefore have a right to access it (talking in general, not complicated housing situations etc), so what you experienced is no surprise to me, but glad things worked out for you, and hope you had fun.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI