Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

router

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:51 AM

Hello I just bought a new router and had a question about use at a hotel I am going to. They have an ethernet port so i believe the ethernet cables go from the wall to the router to the laptop. I am unsure of the next steps. I think I then get a 'key' from the desk to use instead of my security key. If so, do I click on the icon in the task tray to try to enter this 'key' or do I open connections in the control panel? I assume what ever the steps are, I use the same when I return home. The router lists AES +TKIP as part of the intrnal algorithm which is over my head and I have selected WPA2 etc etc as the highest form of security. My ssid is one I chose as is the log in password but I kept the default security key on the bottom of the router. The question then is, what do i do to obtain internet with the hotel Key? Thank you

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:21 AM

personally i wouldn't be using a router just plug the laptop directly into the wall socket and i'd think you'd be connected to the internet, the key, i'd think, is used if you want to connect wireless, first you'd find the hotel wireless network in your find wireless networks, then you'd try and connect to it, it'll then ask for the password/key the hotel gave you, enter it and then you should have access to the internet. in my experience routers are usually used only at home to allow more than 1 pc to connect to the internet through your isp. :popcorn:

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:01 PM

personally i wouldn't be using a router just plug the laptop directly into the wall socket and i'd think you'd be connected to the internet,
the key, i'd think, is used if you want to connect wireless,
first you'd find the hotel wireless network in your find wireless networks, then you'd try and connect to it, it'll then ask for the password/key the hotel gave you, enter it and then you should have access to the internet.

in my experience routers are usually used only at home to allow more than 1 pc to connect to the internet through your isp.

:popcorn:

I thought the router would help with security as I will be doing business and other sensitive work.
If I plugged the ethernet cable into the wall then to my router and pc wouldn't it provide that extra measure off security?
I say this undestanding no system is perfectly safe. This is my home set up so I was asking for clarifiction as to the how to's if i were to use the router.
Were you suggestng that if I did just plug in with my router, I would have internet without adjustments?
Perhaps someone so inclined would like to join our discussion.
Thank you for replying.

#4 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:17 PM

no i don't think using a router is going to be anymore secure because you'd already be behind the hotels router in the first place, can you give the make and model of your router please. i really have no idea on how hotel networks operate when it comes to connecting to them by wire so can't tell you if the router will just be allowed to connect and work or not. what you were describing in the your first post are all things to do with setting up a wireless connection to the router and not with how the router itself connects to a network(which it needs to do before anything connected to it can get onto the internet), be it your isp through your home modem or a hotels network. :popcorn:

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:52 PM

We are out the door for FL so I hope the next time I speak with you will be from the hotel??

#6 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:11 PM

have a nice safe trip and i hope it is as simple as just plugging in the router and laptop to get on the net. :thumbup: :popcorn:

#7 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:13 AM

have a nice safe trip and i hope it is as simple as just plugging in the router and laptop to get on the net. :thumbup:

>>Thank you for the kind words.
It is a.m. and ready to go so I have a last question and perhaps you could help, or someone could jump in.
On the laptop, "Control panel" >network and internet>network and sharing center>choose homegroup and sharing options>change advanced sharing settings.
Do any of these have to do with internet connection? Specifically, I turned off the first three. I do not want to share with any computers except my own at home. File and printer and public folder I think I should have off. Network discovery I was not sure about so is off but I do not know if it will stop me from connecting to the hotel's ethernet jack for internet.
I will check in again for help so if you have a moment I would appreciate what information I could get and thank you again you.

#8 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:52 AM

yes you can turn off all file sharing settings and network discovery.

http://windows.micro...twork-discovery

#9 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:52 AM

yes you can turn off all file sharing settings and network discovery.

http://windows.micro...twork-discovery

Thank you Terri, I appreciate the help.

#10 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:30 AM

Thank you for your help- it all leads to a better understanding.

Edited by Peter1, 26 April 2011 - 05:31 AM.

#11 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:51 PM

Just to let you know, we are home and the hotel did not allow me to use the router. They said their IT company had good security and that with my Norton Suite did the job.