This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

HTML editing

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello Winx64
I can't change the default setting in Internet options> programs> HTML editing>notepad. I want Wordpad instead if advisable..
I have tried default settings but it is not working that way.
How do i do that?

Thank you
Peter
This will work on W7 as well as XP.

Back-up your registry with ERUNT and then go here and download the file.
Double-click the file and a window will open. Delete thje file path and add this new one - C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe


Open IE8 /click on Alt key to bring up Menu bar / tools / internet options / programs tab / check out your editor options now. Along with notepad you will also see wordpad!

Cheers,
Lee
I think you can also accomplish this via Control Panel as well. Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations Scroll down to .html and select it. Click on the Change Program button. Find Wordpad and make it the default. wordpad.exe is in "C:\programFiles\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe" I just tried this and it worked as expected.
Rich -Win 7, MSIE 9, I goofed. All my word docs are in wordpad now instead of word 2010. Peter

Peter, there are others as well, at least on my computer:

[attachment removed]



Rich -I spent hours with Dell b/c I made a mistake in the file association area. if you look in internet options in MSIE 9 under programs, there shold be word, excel, notepad to choose from like my laptop. I have just notepad.
I think it is b/c the day I asked you for help I made an error.
How can I reverse this? There are so many selections. When I hilite any Word entries and click to change program, word is not there. We tried undoing hidden files and foldrs but there was no word, even under Office to choose from.
he tried to search the path of word but after two reinstalls of Office the problem remains.
I would reinstall MSIE 9 but I think the issue would prevail due to my changing the registry erroneously.
I do not know how to reverse the process so I can have a selection under proograms. I enclosed a picture.
If it is too sticky just forget it but maybe you know some thing I cannot see. My laptop has word where the desktop says virtualization in all the word entries.
Peter
PS Now this is odd =Word does exist in the picture I took but when I open the file association page, it says virtualization in place of all the Words -In other words, this picture and the file page are different.

Rich -I spent hours with Dell b/c I made a mistake in the file association area. if you look in internet options in MSIE 9 under programs, there shold be word, excel, notepad to choose from like my laptop. i have just notepad.
i think it is b/c the day i asked you for help i made an error.
How can i reverse this?


Go back to my post and download the tiny reg. edit file and run it. You will then see "word" added as an option (It will not add Excel).

Doing it manually does not change what you see in Internet options / programs /drop-down box - "notepad" . It will however change the file association (to whatever) as Rich has already pointed out, you just won't see the option listed in that drop-down box. It will only show 'notepad'.

Rich -I spent hours with Dell b/c I made a mistake in the file association area. if you look in internet options in MSIE 9 under programs, there shold be word, excel, notepad to choose from like my laptop. i have just notepad.
i think it is b/c the day i asked you for help i made an error.
How can i reverse this?


Go back to my post and download the tiny reg. edit file and run it. You will then see "word" added as an option (It will not add Excel).

Doing it manually does not change what you see in Internet options / programs /drop-down box - "notepad" . It will however change the file association (to whatever) as Rich has already pointed out, you just won't see the option listed in that drop-down box. It will only show 'notepad'.



I wonder why my lap and desk similiarly configured and bought together are different in this respect. The lap has all 3 choices and the desk only notepad. I can't remember which it was before in the desk and if it makes no difference I might have to really think it over.

This will work on W7 as well as XP.

Back-up your registry with ERUNT and then go here and download the file.
Double-click the file and a window will open. Delete thje file path and add this new one - C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe


Open IE8 /click on Alt key to bring up Menu bar / tools / internet options / programs tab / check out your editor options now. Along with notepad you will also see wordpad!

Cheers,
Lee



>>BTW, I have MSIE 9 if it makes a diference.and thanx again.
R - I wanted to update you as you were helping me. I had to format and reinstall and in the process both Dell and MS had Office wrong. They wanted lage money to tell me the obvious. When I install Office from M.S., I have to select the almost hidden, 64 bit option or the conflicting pathway issue will surface. Dell techs were all over the place so I had to start over again. I was lucky as the site - office.com/backup has a default box which is 32 bit. The 64 is almost obscured. The caveats were confusing b/c they said 32 and 64 bit programs can not exist on the same pc. I have MSE and M.S. Essentials on mine so at first thought I could not use the 32 bit Office. Well, with that done I now have word, excel and notepad as my HTML editor and can browse and find Word as a choice. This was not the case before and also the pathways were a mess. It was a learning expeience and thanx for your input. Peter

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI