Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Browser

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kharley

kharley

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:18 PM

Can somebody please tell me how to check my browser settings, I am not sure but I think it's messed up somehow, Thank you.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Basementgeek

Basementgeek

Authentic Member

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:41 PM

What browser are you using and what problems are you having ? BG
Posted Image

#3 kharley

kharley

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:31 PM

I am running IE6 and certain things I have tried to do lately has been blocked even my windows update and I was told it was most likely my browser and the browser wasn't set up right, :wall: I am at my witts end, Thank you.

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:11 PM

Uninstall your JAVA JRE completely via Control Panel - Add/Remove Download and install the most current JAVA JRE Return All of your Browser settings to Default settings. Do you have DirectX 9.0c installed? Any Conflicts or warnings in your Device Manager. Do you have Adobe Shockwave and Adobe FlashPlayer installed? What are "certain things", so we can get a better idea of what's not working for you?
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#5 kharley

kharley

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:25 PM

Well lets see I cant install my windows updates, I have a couple of other programes I installed but cant run them, I have the directx, no warnings, I have the flash but no shock wave. I tried to run the full test on pcpitstop, and the online kaspersky to see what they would find but I cant run them either,Thank you. :rant2:

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:42 PM

Uninstall your JAVA JRE completely via Control Panel - Add/Remove
Download and install the most current JAVA JRE
Available here:
http://java.sun.com/...loads/index.jsp

#7 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:49 AM

Hi kharley Seems like the JRE - ActiveX enabling component is being disabled. You've already cleared and then Uninstalled/Re-installed JAVA JRE, so the problem "could" be with IE Try the following: Open your IE, click on Tools Select - Internet Options Select -Programs(tab) click - Manage Internet add-ons Look for add-ons listed as "PcPitStop Utility" "Kaspersky" (and the other sites you have problems with) and make sure they are enabled. You may find other "add-ons" that are disabled. --If Sun JAVA or JAVA JRE is "disabled" then use -- Settings - click on the add-on listed above, then place a checkmark/tick in front of enable "Enable" Please keep us informed with your progress. Doug

#8 kharley

kharley

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:43 PM

I checked the add-ons everything in there is enabled, I made sure I had the Direct X 9c, I downloaded the Flash Player and The shockwave but I still cant install my updates. What does it mean when you have things in there that are not verified, I am not sure what they are or where they even came from, and I have a browser extension that doesn't have a name just a bunch of letters and numbers, Thank you. :wall: :(

#9 kharley

kharley

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 03:11 AM

Ran AVG, super antispyware, Adaware, plus I ran a chkdsk everything comes back clean, I really am at a loss here I dont know what else to try, Thank you.

#10 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:58 AM

Hi kharley,

What does it mean when you have things in there that are not verified, I am not sure what they are or where they even came from, and I have a browser extension that doesn't have a name just a bunch of letters and numbers,

There is a system called VeriSign through which companies can register their ActiveX components for additional credibility, so that Users who want to download the ActiveX can be assured that the component is genuine. However, even some major companies do not register "all" of their ActiveX and add-on components in this way.

For instance, In my own IE Add-on management list I have 8 (not verified) items but still listing the Publisher.
One of the items is "just a bunch of letters and numbers", as you described.

{53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D794284F} <-- from SaferNetworks and is related to Spybot Search & Destroy

CKAVReportCtrl Object (not verified) <-- belonging to Kaspersky online scan
CKAVWebScan Object (not verified) <-- belonging to Kaspersky online scan
Control Connection Class (not verified) <-- belonging to Panada Active scan
Google Updater Class - (not verified) <-- belonging to Google Toolbar updater
Panda Active Scan (not verified) <-- Belonging to Panda Active Scan
Report Class (not verified) <-- Belonging to Panda Active Scan
Selection Class (not verified) <-- Belonging to Panda Active Scan
Shockware ActiveX Control (not verified) <-- Belonging to Macromedia (Adobe)

All of the above are safe and legitimate even though not "Signed by VeriSign", but you would have to know/trust the company to be comfortable.

Whether verified or not, the item "should" list the Publisher company, which the User should know and trust before downloading.
Some IE add-ons may be more "obscure" if related to gaming sites or less well known sites. Still you should know and trust the Publishing company before downloading an IE add-on or ActiveX component.

Downloading IE add-ons or ActiveX components, without knowing/trusting the Publisher Company from which it originates leaves the User vulnerable to possible infection by that downloaded component.

If you have items that are both (not verified) AND you don't know/trust the Publishing Company, or the Publisher is not listed, you could decide to disable the item in your IE add-ons Manager.
Result would be that browsing to a related site that you've previously used, may find that you are unable to interact with the site.
That would be a clue to go back to IE add-on Manager to enable items one at a time, until the site allowed browser interaction as you prefer.

It is always possible that difficulty with site interaction, such as downloading updates from MS can be caused by Malware infection.
Therefore you should run your antispyware/antivirus scans and post a HJT Log to the Malware Forum if you have malware concerns.
_______

the best, most inclusive posting of Solutions for the kind of problem that you are having is posted, here:
http://forums.cnet.c...m...66&start=60

It is a "very" long thread with some repeatativeness.
Start reading and trying the solutions at Post #65 and proceed through the steps there.

Best Regards

Edited by Doug, 10 September 2007 - 10:02 AM.

#11 kharley

kharley

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:10 PM

I finally got aggravated with all this stuff and reformatted my hard drive and started from scratch it solved the updates issue bit I have one program I really NEED but still cant get it to run. I downloaded and installed FilmLoop it's a free program my sister has on hers that you can do a lot of different things with pictures. I am making a webpage in Honer of my son who passed away and I can do everything I need to with this program, but after installing it when I try to open it it keeps telling me I need to be connected to the internet to register my program but I am connected. This is the only program even after formatting is still giving me trouble do you have any suggestions as to how I can fix the problem, Thanks for all the help. :( :wtf: