Hello,
I have an older Compaq Presario SR215ONX 120GB 512MB that belonged to my mom-in-law. It is has been sitting unplugged for about a year and is a probably about 4 years old. She replaced the PC because it was so slow.
Recently I starting dinking around with it to see if I can get it working well enough to replace my moms 30gb laptop. The PC is slower than a cliché and the clock wasn’t holding the date and time.
I did as much cleaning on the software and personal files that I felt safe getting rid of, ran disc clean up, defragger and replaced the battery. Now I’m looking to add another slot of 512mb RAM.
The RAM that is in the SR215ONX is a Samsung 512mb 1Rx8-4200U-444-12-D3, made in Korea M378T6553CZ3-CD5 0600 (this is everything from the label).
I also have an even older E-Machines T2385 PC that crashed probably 5 or 6 years ago. The Ram in that PC is a Nanya NT512D64S8HB0G-75B 512mb DDR=266mz-CL2.5 PC2100U-25330 (from the label).
Can I use the older Nanya RAM in the Presario or would I be better off trying a new one?
Thanks for your help.
Denise
Hi Denise,
No,
according to my data sheets… these are a different configurations….
Just a suggestion but if you reload your windows operating system and applications (removing all the old stuff) it is likely to make a huge difference to performance, and even with 512mb of Ram is likely to perform pretty well (as long as you don't load too much stuff on it and use software appropriate to the machine's age!
You can then go to www.crucial.com
(the folks who make a lot of the memory -Micron) and use their system scanner to identify the exact spec of memory you require and the price…..so you can install wahtever extra you need and what the machine can handle….. its likely to be as cheap as chips!
Good luck
Regards
paws
I have just finished refurbishing and old P4 Shuttle (small form factor) that only had 512mb (2x256mb) of DDR RAM but had a nice CPU, a fresh 250GB hard drive and a decent video- card in it.
After upgrading the DDR RAM to 1GB (2x512mb), popping in a new battery and installing W7, it goes like a train for general computer use. The DDR ram sticks I had laying around but can be bought on ebay for about $10.
It is always desirable to disable unnecessary display gimmicks (ram eaters) in Vista or W7 such as Aero etc.
Hi Paws & Lee,
I went to crucial.com to obtain a match for the memory, installed it (it was so easy to do I couldn't believe it). The PC is much faster on the internet now. The start up is pretty slow so I have a file started with the malware team.
Thanks again for all your help