This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

System Resources 45% And Less-no Virus

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm having memory problems (fresh boot shows 45% resources only). Have Norton Internet Security, Spybot, etc… did disk utility things… Did every virus check in the book. Nothing (even posted under Hijackthis area earlier). Starting to think it might be a memory issue. Need advice. I previously went to the Dell site and searched what memory I needed for my Dell dimension 8100 to buy add'l memory. It said I needed 512 MB RDRAM, PC800, ECC, Unbuffered… so I went onto ebay and found what matched my system. I bought 2 SAMSUNG 256 MB Rambus RDRAM PC800 400Mhz 45ns sticks. Later when I installed the new sticks, I discovered the two sets weren't compatible (my original sticks were non-ECC) and that Dell had given me a description that didn't match what I already had. So I took out the old Dell sticks and just left the new 512s. Could my "unavailable" memory be due to the wrong sticks? Is Rambo not compatible? Also, I downloaded and ran Belarc Advisor. It said my Processor had 1.5 gig Intel Pentium 4, 8 kilo primary cache, 256 secondary cache. How does this relate to 512 Meg memory modules? Any advice would be appreciated. Trying to update a good oldie. Considering more memory, but apparently I'm not so good at upgrading that. Kathi
Good topic,

Heres how it works:
Im sure you know what RAM is, so I wont go into the specifics on how it works. With RAM, you need to keep this in mind:
1. There are 3 different types of RAM
a. SIMM (single in-line memory module)
b. DIMM (dual in-line memory module)
c. RAMBUS (sometimes INCORRECTLY called RIMM)
d. well, i guess I am leaving out the different types of RAM for laptops, but we dont have to worry about those right now

SIMM was the first type of RAM. I won't go into the specifics on this one, but just know that you don't find that type of memory anymore.

DIMM is the replacement to SIMM. DIMM is rated by speed. (i.e. pc 400)
ALSO, some of them are called DDRSDRAM this is a type of dimm…

RAMBUS is a proprietary memory module. Originally, the pentium 4's were released to ONLY be compatible with this type of memory, but there was such an uproar that newer p4's use DIMM

What is rambus exactly?
well rambus is like DIMM in some aspects. The difference can be thought of like this:
1. DIMM is like a highway that allows school buses to take 40 kids on a bus traveling 40 mph
2. RIMM is like a highway that only allows small cars holding 4 kids. BUT the speed limit is 80 mph

I hope that explains it to you

In short, the two types are NOT compatible. If you have a motherboard that supports DIMM it will not support RAMBUS and vice versa.

Now for the thing with unbuffered vs. ecc

1. DIMM and RAMBUS both come in two types
unbuffered and ECC

the difference is:
1. ECC allows the ram to find small mistakes in the transfer of data and correct them. the downside is that the ram is more expensive.
2. unbuffered does not have the error checking code, but it is cheaper and runs faster.

Once again: unbuffered and ECC are NOT compatible….. Though you could fit them into the RAM socket, they would not work.

Actually the DELL website doesnt specify which type you need, but I'm almost certain you need unbuffered ram.

I looked at the specifications for your dell machine:
you need ram that fitts all of these specifications:
1. RAMBUS
2. UNBUFFERED
3. no larger than 512 kb


hope this helps

Also you asked about cache

Here's the deal about cache:
One of my friends has posted a great article about cache here:

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=23896

basically, cache is EVEN faster than RAM. Cache comes with the processor and cannot be upgraded (except in older computers)

hope I havent bored you too much

wng

Also do this, right click on my computer and select properties
write down how much RAM you have in your system

good luck
Thanks for all the great info, wng! I had to take some time to soak in all that you said and then compare with what I had and referenced. I still am little confused. Here's why: On the Dell site, it gave specific memory stick requirements for my tag ID (the 8100 Dimension from 2001). It says (I looked again) I need PC800 ECC UNBUFFERED, UP TO 1024. If I'm understanding what you said correctly, ECC and UNBUFFERED aren't compatible. Soooo I went into set-up (F2) to see what my system thinks it had and that's what's installed. What's weird, though, is that the original 128 sticks I pulled out read as NON-ECC. Which one is right? I'm guessing that even though Dell's site says I need ECC, since I'm having memory problems I really need the NON-ECC that was in before. Am I right? Also, I found out that all my internet problems were due to a corrupt IE and a corrupt internet card driver. Boy, I've been scratching my head for weeks on that one. When I downloaded all those Windows patches, something went sour. I'm back up and running. Just have this memory problem now. Oh, and if you've not heard of this tool, you gotta check it out! BELARC ADVISOR tells you everything you could ever want to know about your computer, including installed patches and software versions. I forgot where I got it, but a google will turn it up, I'm sure.
I must not be following you. I went to that bulletin, but it only told how to turn things off using selective start-up. If you're thinking maybe I have things running that I don't know I do… I've already unchecked all that I can. The only part about that bulletin I didn't understand was the EXTRACT command. If that's something you were pointing me to, I didn't understand it. Sorry, I must be out of my league. Kathi
Okay… I know a lot more, thanks to all the great info on this site and a bit of digging. Now I need some real techy help.

I discoved that I had a "Compatibility Mode Paging reduces overall system performance" which could cause some of this memory stuff. I tried to follow the directions at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/130179 but I'm to a point where I don't know what I know.

1. I don't think I have a INT21h or boot-sector virus (they aren't that common) and if I do I'll shoot myself before I rescue this computer.

2. My hard drive controller appears to be fine. I checked what it said upon boot, then went to the Western site and verified I have the right driver and then went into System Properties to see that the driver was listed.

3. I don't think I have a conflict with the controller and other hardware device, because it said "no conflict." I even went to every single device listed and checked for the message that there was a conflict or that it was in compatibility mode. Found nothing.

4. Nothing is disabled in TROUBLESHOOTING tab (such as 32-bit protected…)

5. My Esdi_506.pdr protected mode disk driver is present (could it still not be detected?) because I located it and also did regedit and didn't find a NOIDE entry in IOS. Of course, I'm not real sure what I'm looking for so I could be mistaken on this one. I don't understand how to check to see if this is damaged.

6. Mh32bit.386 driver is NOT being loaded in the System.ini file.

7. I made a bootlog and examined it. No failures, but INITCOMPLETESUCCESS, so I looked for a IOS.LOG. None existed. However, the bootlog had these lines that I don't know if I should persue. I'm listing only the lines before and after the "removing" statements:

[00145DC9] Enumerating Intel® 82801BA LPC Interface Controller - 2440 …
[00145DCB] Removing Unknown ()
[00145DCB] Removed Unknown ()
[00145DCB] Enumerated Intel® 82801BA LPC Interface Controller - 2440 …
[00145F52] Loading PNP drivers of Creative SB Live! Value (WDM) …
[00145F53] Removing Unknown ()
[00145F53] Removed Unknown ()
[00145F53] Loading PNP drivers of Game Port for Creative SB Live! …
[001460F7] Enumerating Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator …
[001460F8] Removing Microsoft Kernel DRM Descrambler Filter …
[001460F9] Removed Microsoft Kernel DRM Descrambler Filter …
[001460F9] Removing Microsoft Kernel GS Wavetable Synthesizer …
[001460F9] Removed Microsoft Kernel GS Wavetable Synthesizer …
[001460F9] Enumerated Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator …
[001460FD] Enumerating Microsoft Kernel System Audio Renderer …
[001460FD] Enumerated Microsoft Kernel System Audio Renderer …
[001460FF] Enumerating Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer …
[00146102] Enumerated Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer …
[00146103] Enumerating Microsoft Kernel Audio Splitter …
[00146103] Enumerated Microsoft Kernel Audio Splitter …
[00146103] Enumerating Microsoft Kernel DLS Synthesizer …
[00146103] Enumerated Microsoft Kernel DLS Synthesizer …
[00146104] Enumerating Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator (…
[00146105] Removing Microsoft Kernel Audio Splitter …
[00146107] Removed Microsoft Kernel Audio Splitter …
[00146107] Removing Microsoft Kernel DLS Synthesizer …
[00146107] Removed Microsoft Kernel DLS Synthesizer …
[00146107] Enumerated Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator …
[00146107] Enumerating Microsoft Kernel System Audio Renderer …
[00146108] Enumerated Microsoft Kernel System Audio Renderer …
[00146108] Enumerating Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer …
[00146108] Enumerated Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer …
[00146108] Enumerating Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator …
[00146108] Enumerated Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator …
[00146108] Enumerating Microsoft Kernel System Audio Renderer …
[00146108] Enumerated Microsoft Kernel System Audio Renderer …
[00146108] Enumerating Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer …
[00146109] Enumerated Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer …
[00146115] Enumerating Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator …
[00146116] Enumerated Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator …
[00146117] Enumerating Microsoft Kernel System Audio Renderer …
[00146118] Enumerated Microsoft Kernel System Audio Renderer …
[00146119] Enumerating Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer …
[00146119] Enumerated Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer …
[001462C5] Enumerating Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator …
[001462C7] Removing Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer …
[001462C7] Removed Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer …
[001462C7] Enumerated Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator …
[001462C7] Enumerating Microsoft Kernel System Audio Renderer …
[001462C7] Enumerated Microsoft Kernel System Audio Renderer …

I've tapped into all the tech knowledge I can muster up. Can someone tell me where to look next? I suspect my problem is an incompatible driver because after a fire, my computer crashed and I've been downloading things to get it up and running. In addition, I've recently purchased video cams, spyware software, and memory sticks… all of which either needed things downloaded or screwed up something that needed to be fixed. I just can't figure out how to find an incompatibilty. This might be nothing, but I found it odd that myWD6000 hard drive (which is in the 850 family of drivers and says Intel 82801BAUltra ATA) shows driver detail of nothing available for VMM32.VXD. Is this normal?


Just in case this matters, I want to mention that I have two HD's (drive C and drive D). The first is a Western WD6000, the second is an IDE using a Microsoft driver using the Esdi_506.pdr. Should this Esdi_506.pdr be listed with the Western drive as well? Maybe that's the problem, that the protected mode isn't listed under the main drive also?

HELP. I will not let this computer win!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI