This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Burning DVD-R on XP

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Help! I own a Toshiba Satellite 105S, running Windows XP SP3. I'm trying to copy/burn a video I made on my camera onto a DVD-R. The laptop has a Matshita DVD RAM UJ-841S DVD read/write drive. I have unloaded and reloaded the driver…Nada. I have opened the drive properties and unchecked the box - Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device. Nothing. I have confirmed that the device works - it plays a regular commercial dvd in Windows Media. I converted the file from Quicktime to .wmv using AVC - Any video converter. I can play the file I want to burn onto the DVD either Quicktime or Windows Media. I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions?
Hi solo58, What burning program are you using when you try to burn this file to DVD-R? Cheers, Lee
WMV was a strange choice of file format to convert to for a video file you want to burn(?) You should have converted the file to DVD format if you wish to watch it on anything besides your computer (TV for instance), Are you sure this file is not write protected? If it is, it would explain why your having trouble burning it. If you just want to back the file up, it can be to any USB flash or hard drive. Cheers, Lee
So part of the problem is that the laptop doesn't recognize the blank DVD when I put it in. I've tried other blank DVD's and it still doesn't recognize them. Good point on .wmv - probably not the best choice. When you say DVD format, what's the extension? What's wrong with the Roxio or WM burners?

What's wrong with the Roxio or WM burners?


WMP is useless for converting files to DVD (.vob) files, but Roxio or any other major file conversion/burner program will do the job nicely.

"You can't just burn the WMV files to a DVD the way you would ordinary data. To put your WMV files on a DVD, you need a program that can convert them to the DVD format".
How to Convert WMV to DVD

Cheers,
Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI