This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

No Internet after Infection

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I caught and removed a virus called PUP.casino with malwarebytes and ever since I restarted my computer to finish the removal I can no longer access the internet in my browsers and my anti-virus is malfunctioning. I don't know what to do if I am unable to download any programs from the computer. Also, I took some bad advice from a old post and deleted my Winsock registries which would supposedly reset after a computer restart. This only applied to XPs. I have Windows 7. Now I am unable to get the Winsock reg back and my computer cannot find/connect to my internet. I have tried the netsh commands and WinsockFix.exe to reset the Winsock but both cannot locate the Winsock file. Is a repair install of Windows 7 the only option at this point?
Consider using a Restore Point to take your machine system back to a state prior to when you deleted the Winsock file. *** Beware: Reverting to a Restore Point, "may" place you back to a point where your machine has the infection again. If you have the Windows 7 installation media DVD, then you can attempt to use System File Checker to identify and replace any missing or corrupt Windows system files including the Winsock file. Without the DVD you may be stuck with repair install or factory restore.
I've tried to do a system restore but it says my anti-virus is preventing it. I disabled all the settings on the anti-virus yet it still gives me the error message when I try to restore. Should I uninstall it completely or is there an option I am missing?
Not sure, because I am not a Norton User and can't check on a machine here locally.

But Norton does have a feature called "Product Tamper Protection"

To have a look,

— open your Norton product

— Click on Settings

— Click on Miscellaneous Settings

— you should now see: Norton Product Tamper Protection

— Change the indicator to – Off

Exit out by clicking Apply and then OK
__________________

Next…. See if you can run Windows System Restore
_____________________

Next reverse the process to re-engage Norton Product Tamper Protection
Just did that. Same error: "System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an anti-virus program is running on the computer. Etc." Edit: Going to try to restore in safe mode or disable anti-virus completely completely.
Worked like a charm! Reverted back to a save point from several days before. I'm now scanning for malware which I don't believe is in this restore point and the internet seems to be working fine. Run down: Turned off anti-virus tamper protection Restarted in safe mode System restore Entered safe mode upon restoring just to be safe Turned tamper protection back on Thanks a ton, Doug! I lost hope for a system restore days ago, but you pointed me in the right direction.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI