This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Desperate: No Internet Connectivity Anymore

15 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am kinda deperate. Lost all Internet connectivity. No one seems to be able to help. I think for some reason my "winsock" directory may be corrupt- I got a message like that when I tried to diagnose (XP with IE7) but couldn't restart computer at that moment. When I reran all it said was can't connect using HTTP, HTPS, FTP etc. Please- any advice! :(
I am using a different PC for these, apologies- but will post a new HJT log since all Internet connectivity ceased this afternoon. Really am desperate for help with this! Thanks
Okay I did that- after spending hours last night with Gateway to no avail. I applied the winsock fix and the PC rebooted: A) It does seem connected because rather than getting that components of Kaspersky couldn't load, they seem to have and I had the K icon with the earth underneath it-which I think means its going out to the Internet But, B) I get the wallpaper with none of the desktop icons, clicking on Spy Sweeper or Kaspersky in the task tray doesn't bring the progrms up and alhough start gave me the start menu at the start of this, it doesn't respond now. (Seems like hanging but am not sure). Not sure if I should turn of the PC and start up agin.
Have you tried a system restore? 1. Click Start. 2. Point to All Programs. 3. Point to Accessories. 4. Point to System Tools. 5. Click System Restore. 6. Follow the instructions on the wizard. See if you can find a date the the PC worked.
Two things, A) I did force a restart - Safe Mode with Networking and was able to get to the Internet! Am trying a normal start up now. I saw the XP update icon in the lower right and it has now disappeared (which I think it means that it did an update successfully - I hope thats what it means…) B) Gateway had me try a restore last night and after doing its thing and rebooting it came back as unable to restore system. That happened once before recently and I am not certain why (if something is interfering, etc.) Since I have basically been up all night between what the Checkdisk Gateway had me do and other steps, I am going to stop at Starbucks to get some new coffee and will be right back to finish seeing if the normal start up worked. Do you have any idea why system restore did not work?
Sorry-while I get coffee, I tried the normal start up and I don't get to the Internet but did in safe mode with networking (which I didn't last night). I am trying a system restore to an earlier date. Will be right back.
So, tried it again. In restart it works. Network Options only shows the Local Area Network connection. (No enabled- wasn't last night after whatever Gateway had me do.). In normal mode- no connection. Network options shows LAN connected but broadband connection is diconnected. I seem to have a few of these from various times when the ISP asked me to set up new ones because of some problem. In any event- if it means anything, all of them show no drivers when I do network - install - protocol, Not sure if that means anything or why it does connect in safe mode.
Click Start> Run> type in CMD tap enter key
Copy/Paste: ipconfig /flushdns <– Note the space between g /f. It needs to be there.


Now lets check some settings on your system.
Enter your Control Panel and double-click on Network Connections

Then right click on your Default Connection
Usually Local Area Connection for Cable and DSL
Left click on Properties
Double-Click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item
Select the radio dial that says Obtain DNS Servers Automatically
Press OK twice to get out of the properties screen and reboot if it asks

Let me know if that worked.
I did that. Flushed successfully but ddn't work after reboot for getting connected. Although I got was able to get partially through Real Media and they weren't cached pages. I still think its strange that it works for Safe Mode but not normal. Could it be something associated with the browser itself or the broadband connection (PPPOE script is used by Verizon which I know not all connections use)
Safe Mode doesn't load the drivers for different hardware. Right click "My Computer" > Properties> Hardware> Device Manager Are there any items like the Network Adaptors that have a yellow triangle or Red X listed?
Just for the heck of it, I had my dsl set up disk and i saw that it was able to communicate with the server, although I got some fails on port 443 but it did download things for the "verizon communications center" and it had a security question response that I only set up on the phone this morning with verizon- so there seems to be partial communication which fails whenever I use the browser. I also tried launching real one and was able to click between some of the pages about the oscars but it didn't connect on all.
Shutdown the pc.
Unplug the Power from your modem and/or router for at least 5 mins.
Plug the power back in and restart the pc.

See if that helped.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI