Hi Guys and Merry Christmas!
I have a problem with my parents new laptop…..about 6 months ago we got fibre-optic bb installed and they got a new lappy.
up until now they have had no problems with the wireless connection but lately it is disconnecting frequently.
I know next to nothing about wireless as my desktop is connected straight to the router.
I was thinking perhaps it could be interference as there are a few new wireless networks in range.
Could anyone help me to diagnose the problem and remedy it?
thanks!
Hello Ally.
You make a good point that it could be wireless interference. It could also be problematic hardware, or possibly even software issues on the laptop.
Why don't you provide us with the make and model of both the wireless router, and the laptop. Then, it will be easier to provide specific information.
hi appleoddity,
the laptop is an acer travelmate 5735 and the router is a Virgin Media Super Hub.
PS.how do I check that all the drivers are up to date on it,it is running windows7?(I use xp)
Its not going to be a driver issue. Unless somebody was installing or updating them. You can check on drivers at acer's website for this laptop. Sometimes Windows update will offer its own drivers, but I usually like to either ignore them, hide them, or get them directly from the manufacturer.
I have to be frank… Ewwwww on the router. I won't be able to help you with it. Its some proprietary thing (looks like it is a Netgear - rebranded) your ISP provided. You'll have to contact them to reconfigure it. My suggestion was going to be to make sure it has the latest firmware, and try a couple of different channels on the wireless network. They should be able to help you with that. If its interference that will probably fix it.
There are other options that often can improve reliability, but I pick them out by looking at them, and I have no idea what this thing has under the hood. Anyways, it was working fine, so it probably wouldn't help.
The only other suggestion I could make is to try to reinstall the driver/software from Acer's website, incase it did get replaced by a Microsoft provided driver or something - then make sure that a different version isn't being pushed out by windows updates. (I'm talking about the wireless driver here)
Finally, you may want to take a journey over to the malware removal forum and have a check up to make sure the computer isn't infected.
Hi appleoddity,
I'll phone my isp later today and hopefully get it sorted.
I already re-installed the networking drivers from acers site so it can't be that.
Hopefully the router just needs it's channel changed or a firmware update….I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks for taking the time to help though,it's appreciated.
Hi,
I think I have it sorted(fingers crossed)I managed to do it myself without phoning my ISP.
You were right appleoddity,my channel was on a fixed number (from 1-8 i think) and there was an option to automatically connect to the best channel available which I selected and it has worked withouth a disconnect since yesterday.
kind regards and best wishes to all for christmas!
Ally.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI