Not sure what seems to be going wrong with my laptop, had this problem for quite a while and always just dealt with it or worked round it but i'm really quite fed up now. I've tried all sorts of solutions and nothing seems to work.
Basically I've tried my laptop at various locations on various different routers (my own house, my old home, my girlfriend's home) and each wifi allows me to connect and works but with consistent drops whether i'm on wifi or connected via cable.
I'm not sure what information to provide here to help try and work out what my problem is, I'll do my best to provide anything people ask me to give!
Thanks in advance
the laptop is a TOSHIBA Satellite L450D, i've tried downloading various wireless drivers but they don't seem to have fixed the issue. aside from that i've just tried small fixes i've found by vaguely googling the problem
The only driver you should try should be downloaded directly from Toshiba's support website for your specific model of laptop and operating system version.
You need to plug in directly to your wireless router using an ethernet cable and test your internet from there and see if it is stable.
How do you know the internet connection is dropping? What is happening?
Yeah I'm aware of that, I meant various versions of the toshiba driver. I've got the latest one installed for my specific model. As I've said about, the connection drops even when i'm connected by ethernet cable to my router
And sorry for not being clearer, by dropping I mean that I my browser/download simply hangs for about 30 seconds, if i'm browsing the internet and it drops the browser simply says "connecting.." at the top for a while until it decides to work again, there's no notification from the system tray or anything.
What anti-virus are you running?
Have you had any problems with viruses lately?
What browser are you using? Have you tried a different one?
Most problems in internet explorer are caused by problematic third party add-ons like the google toolbar. If you use internet explorer then open Internet Options, click the Advanced tab, and then use the RESET button to disable all toolbars and add-ons and reset default settings. See if that helps your issue. Internet options can be found through the control panel and through the tools menu of internet explorer.
Any internet security program such as Norton Internet Security, or McAfee Security suite is also a likely culprit.
I'm using MSE and formerly was using AVG, had the same problem with both. also tried avast!
Had no problems with viruses for as long as I can remember, I scan frequently too.
I use firefox usually but i've also tried chrome, opera and IE but all have the same problem. Chrome won't even load webpages at all.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI