Software
window update/itunes problems
4 min read
jaysgirl3
Topic Starter
Hi, thank you for your time.
Here is the problem. I was having trouble updating windows with .net framework 4 uodates and Microsoft visual C ++ 2008. I have been working on reinstalling th .net framework and am still having troubles. I contaacted a microsoft tech who told me to get rid of the visual programs. I was also trying to reinstall itunes as I have been having problems with it for some time with an applesyncnotifier error on startup. so I had to delete the itunes folders to try and get rid of it that way as it was not showing up on my uninstall program list. I did this and was still not able to install intunes properly. As well I was no longer even able to open itunes so I did a system restore to before I had removed anything and I still cannot open itunes and am also still having the update problems except for the visual C ++ 2008 which I had reinstalled. I need to get the itunes working asap so I can update my iphone and everything. I am sorry if I have put this in the wrong forum. I thought at first that this was a virus too. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks again.
Lee
Hi jaysgirl3,
Welcome to WTT
Try this to open iTunes:
1. Open the iTunes folder. The default location is: \username\Music\iTunes.
2. Right click and select properties.
3. Uncheck the Read-only box.
4. Click Apply,click OK to change all the subfolders. Click OK.
5. Now check and see if you can open iTunes.
jaysgirl3
Thank you for the welcome Lee!
It seems my problems go much deeper because I had tried to uninstall itunes at one point, it doesn't show up on my uninstall/change list and the only folders that are itunes folders are in my program files and program files x86 folders. It isn't even in my start programs list and when I try to install the new version of itunes it says it cannot open keys. It now seems like all of my windows programs are starting to act funny. I cannot get things to play on windows media player and my windows installer was not working…..
thanks again for your time!
Lee
Doesn't sound good.
Try a system restore to a date and point before you had update and iTune problems.
Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore
If successful (or not) go to Start / Control Panel / Windows Update / Change settings / change to:
We can then deal with the update problem without Microsoft trying to install them automatically and making a mess of it.
PS Edit: Added info.
iTunes is a 65Mb download which is huge. It is serious bloatware with more apps and junkware than anyone could possibly use. To get rid of it all is no easy task as the conventional add/remove uninstall method removes very little of it.
Heavyweight, but straightforward steps are required:
Completely Remove iTunes and Other Apple Software from a Windows Computer
Try a system restore to a date and point before you had update and iTune problems.
Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore
If successful (or not) go to Start / Control Panel / Windows Update / Change settings / change to:
We can then deal with the update problem without Microsoft trying to install them automatically and making a mess of it.
PS Edit: Added info.
iTunes is a 65Mb download which is huge. It is serious bloatware with more apps and junkware than anyone could possibly use. To get rid of it all is no easy task as the conventional add/remove uninstall method removes very little of it.
Heavyweight, but straightforward steps are required:
Completely Remove iTunes and Other Apple Software from a Windows Computer
jaysgirl3
I have tried the system restore, it still says that itunes is not installed correctly and I tried the revo once and still things are not working, would you like my to try it again?
Lee
No , don't try to install it again for the moment. Remove iTunes and the other Apple installations it installed. Please go to this link:
Completely Remove iTunes and Other Apple Software from a Windows Computer.
Completely Remove iTunes and Other Apple Software from a Windows Computer.
jaysgirl3
Hi again,
I have done all the steps listed on that page to the best of my ability, I am not surre about any manual steps but I ran all the programs that it had listed. Now what steps should I take?
Thanks again for your time!
Lee
I have tried the system restore, it still says that itunes is not installed correctly and I tried the revo once and still things are not working, would you like my to try it again?
Are you still receiving the above message about iTunes? If so, you still have some of it making a nuisance of itself.
Did you install Everything and type in Apple?
jaysgirl3
Ok, so I must not have done all of the steps listed on that page the first time because I did them again last night and was finally able to reinstall itunes!. And now my computer is running better as well. I do still have those troublesome updates hidden that wouldn't install so I am not sure what to do with them. They are just for visual c ++ 2008 and .net framework 4, not sure if they are going to be a problem. But thank you so much for helping me get itunes figured out!
Lee
Congratulation on the fresh install of iTunes
You need to restore the hidden updates to the list of updates that Windows can offer, and then install them. Here's how:
1) Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Update.
2) In the left pane, click Restore hidden updates.
3) Select the updates that you want to install, and then click Restore. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Windows will automatically check for updates, and then prompt you to install the updates that you restored and any new updates that might be available.
Cheers,
Lee
I do still have those troublesome updates hidden that wouldn't install so I am not sure what to do with them. They are just for visual c ++ 2008 and .net framework 4, not sure if they are going to be a problem.
You need to restore the hidden updates to the list of updates that Windows can offer, and then install them. Here's how:
1) Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Update.
2) In the left pane, click Restore hidden updates.
3) Select the updates that you want to install, and then click Restore. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Windows will automatically check for updates, and then prompt you to install the updates that you restored and any new updates that might be available.
Cheers,
Lee
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI