This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Desktp HD via laptop ?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I recently upgraded my PC to win 7 but now my monitor has packed in, it may take a few weeks until I can purchase a new one. In the meantime I am using my laptop (win xp), however I have one issue. I have a spreadsheet I need to get from the desktop, is it possible to connect my desktop to my laptop to allow me access. sorry if this is a dumb question. thanks
Did you ever setup file sharing between the Desktop and Laptop? If so then you can boot the Desktop even though you can't see anything and try to copy the spreadsheet over to the laptop.

If not, the only other way I know of is to use a Universal USB, something like this: Newertech USB 2.0 Universal Drive Adapter

Alternatively, can you borrow a display (any kind/size will do) to use temporarily?
No I didnt set up a file transfer as I rarely use the laptop, only on hols. I was hoping I could use my laptop as the monitor for my desktp as a temp fix.
No way I know of and Google searches don't turn up anything either. Do you have any thrift stores in the area? At my churches Thrift Store, I sell 17" displays for $5, 18" & 19" for $10. You should be able to pick up a used, working monitor for very little money. One of your friends may even have one laying around.
sorry no you can't use your laptop has a monitor.

so the only way to get the file is to buy a hard drive dock similar to this(if the hard drive in the pc is a sata drive) :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16817182221

then open the desktop, take out the hard drive and place it into the dock and connect it to the laptop then you'll be able to access all the files on the drive.

or get another monitor. :D

:popcorn:
ok thanks for the info. I should be able to borrow a monitor. It was the only file I hadnt yet backed up on my external as I was still working on it. :-( Scudo

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI