This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Blocked Websites After Suspicious Email

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

PLEASE HELP, I opened a suspicious email (I know, I know, it was a heat of the moment thing) and now I'm being blocked from 1 very important website. I have done my research but I cannot come up with a solution. ALL computers using my internet connection are also blocked from this website including my neighbours laptop which loads the blocked website at their house but not mine. I checked the HOSTS file but found nothing. I also checked the router settings and there were no blocked sites listed there. I also checked my antivirus settings, which doesn't make sense anyway because other computers are affected, as well as the site filtering options available under Internet Explorer's internet options section. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks :)
Bypass the router and connect directly to the ISP modem. Does it work then? Also, what is the URL of the website. Maybe it's their problem and a coincidence that it happened right after you opened the E-mail.
Unfortunately I cannot bypass the router because it is a Telus Smart Hub which is both the source of the Internet connection and the router. Also, unlikely a coincidence because the site being blocked is an Ontario government site which I need access to for the purposes of research for a court case I am involved with right now. Any further suggestions? Thanks :)
I think you need one of our malware gurus to take a look at your computer. They should be able to figure out what is going on. Go to the Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal forum, read the info there and follow the posted directions. Once you receive a clean bill of health, come back here if you have any additional questions or concerns or it turns out not to be a malware problem.

Please be patient as that is a very busy area. If you do not receive a response in 3 days, post a message here: What To Do If You Have No Response In 3 Days?

Do not reply to your post there as the malware folks look for posts with no replies first.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI