Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Blocked ads in IE7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 biscuit_head

biscuit_head

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:37 PM

Hello, I had a problem a while back with lots of annoying adware, and subsequently increased the security of all sorts of internet settings; one such setting is that I blocked banners and other types of ad from appearing on my internet browser. However, I received an email today in HTML format but my browser would not show any of the images on the email. I had also looked at this email on my PC in work, and it displayed the images no problem. I was wondering if this could have been caused by my blocking ads on internet explorer? However, I cannot remember how I did this in the first place, so am unable to reverse the settings! All I remember is making changes to the HOSTS file when I was getting rid of the adware. Is there any way you can determine what I have done and how to reverse it? Thanks very much, Siobhan.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ax238

Ax238

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:31 PM

Hello Siobhan,

To restore the default settings for IE:
  • In IE, go to Tools | Internet Options
  • Select the Security tab
  • Click the Reset all zones to default level button
  • Select the Privacy tab
  • Click the Default button

As for restoring your host file, save the following text to a file called "hosts" (use double quotes) and save it to the "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\" directory:
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#	  102.54.94.97	 rhino.acme.com		  # source server
#	   38.25.63.10	 x.acme.com			  # x client host

127.0.0.1	   localhost

Regards,

Ax

#3 biscuit_head

biscuit_head

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:33 PM

Thanks Ax, I have restored my default settings for Internet Explorer, however I seem to have a problem with my System32 folder! First of all, I found it in C:\i386\system32, and second of all, it only contained 2 files, and no folders! I'm sure I had an issue with my system32 folder, but I can't remember what it was, and I never resolved it. Now it appears to have disappeared! I'm slighty more concerned about the whole thing now! :( Any ideas?!

#4 Ax238

Ax238

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:22 PM

You may have the folder hidden, just type the path into Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) and you should be able to get there.

#5 biscuit_head

biscuit_head

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:18 AM

Hello, I have managed to locate my system32 folder. There is already a file named HOSTS, but I can't open it as it doesn't have a file extension. Which program should I use to open HOSTS in order to save the text into it? Thanks again!

#6 Ax238

Ax238

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:35 AM

Sorry for the late response. You can just open it with notepad and edit it from there.