This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Blocked ads in IE7

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I had a problem a while back with lots of annoying adware, and subsequently increased the security of all sorts of internet settings; one such setting is that I blocked banners and other types of ad from appearing on my internet browser. However, I received an email today in HTML format but my browser would not show any of the images on the email. I had also looked at this email on my PC in work, and it displayed the images no problem. I was wondering if this could have been caused by my blocking ads on internet explorer? However, I cannot remember how I did this in the first place, so am unable to reverse the settings! All I remember is making changes to the HOSTS file when I was getting rid of the adware. Is there any way you can determine what I have done and how to reverse it? Thanks very much, Siobhan.
Hello Siobhan,

To restore the default settings for IE:
  • In IE, go to Tools | Internet Options
  • Select the Security tab
  • Click the Reset all zones to default level button
  • Select the Privacy tab
  • Click the Default button

As for restoring your host file, save the following text to a file called "hosts" (use double quotes) and save it to the "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\" directory:
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#	  102.54.94.97	 rhino.acme.com		  # source server
#	   38.25.63.10	 x.acme.com			  # x client host

127.0.0.1	   localhost

Regards,

Ax
Thanks Ax, I have restored my default settings for Internet Explorer, however I seem to have a problem with my System32 folder! First of all, I found it in C:\i386\system32, and second of all, it only contained 2 files, and no folders! I'm sure I had an issue with my system32 folder, but I can't remember what it was, and I never resolved it. Now it appears to have disappeared! I'm slighty more concerned about the whole thing now! :( Any ideas?!
Hello, I have managed to locate my system32 folder. There is already a file named HOSTS, but I can't open it as it doesn't have a file extension. Which program should I use to open HOSTS in order to save the text into it? Thanks again!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI