This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Wireless N Router

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This may sound like a stupid question because I can't see the forest for the trees, but I can't locate this answer before shopping. My question is this: I currently have a Linksys g router in my home. I have a printer (wired), two laptops and a desktop computers and a wii linked to this. Until recently, all has gone very well. Lately however, the system seems very slow on any computer (range 6yrs to 3 mos in age). I have noticed the light panel in the front is no longer white but orange. I usually believe that this is a firmware update that is needed. I have checked and all states that I am on the most current version. What else could be causing this? I have also thought that maybe it is time for a new router in any event as this one is a few years old as well. I wanted to get an N wireless router hoping for better range. Second floor and third floor is spotty. My question with regard to this is: all n router that I have looked at state they support b/g/n. Does this mean that I do not have to also buy a network adapter for the older computer that only has b/g? Recommendations? Work with old one or go for the new one???? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
I just replaced my old Dell 2350 Wireless B/G router with a Belkin N450 Wireless N Gigabit router. That gives both of my Ethernet connected computers Gigabit speed while my laptop still connects at 54Mbs (G), so you will not have to upgrade your older computers.
All the newer routers seem to work well from what I've read but I have no personal experience with any other than the two I mentioned. All N routers I've read about are backward compatible with B and G so which ever you choose will not cause a problem in that regard.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI