This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Firmware upgrade options

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello everyone I am using a wireless Linksys wrt54gs v7 and for the past few weeks I have been loosing internet connection on my laptops about once a day to were I have to pull the power on the router to reestablish my connection. This is happening on 2 different laptops so I feel confident that they both don't have bum wireless. I was thinking about reflashing the firmware on it and thought if I was going to do this I would look into some 3rd party firmware. The trouble I am running into is that it appears from what I have been reading is that after version 4 they dropped the flash from 4mb to 2mb which seems to be the stopping point for all the 3rd party firmware. Are there some out there I missed that are worth while to look at or is my only option to stick with the Linksys firmware. It is not a show stopper but I would like to know my options :) Thank you in advance for any advice given.
Clark76, I would only upgrade to 3rd party firmware if I was willing to buy a new router. When I tried to install DDWRT on my WRT54GS it turns my router into a paperweight I was fine with that due to that I was going to replace it anyways.
tuxmaster Thanks for the opinion on the matter. I have pretty much decided to just reload the original software. Of course buying a new router does spark some interest. Could upgrad to an N router…. ;)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI