This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

AT&T ADSL intermittent connection. Multiple techs, no fix.

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So I have ADSL through AT&T. I have a 6016 Kbps Down, 768 Kbps up connection. I never actually see those speeds, but I'll get to that later. My biggest problem is intermittent disconnects that last for usually 30s at most. The really strange thing is that it happens almost always during the same time window. From about 10pm EST to about 4am EST, though it has much less frequently happened during the day. I play online games, and am often online during those hours, so I can tell the second my connection gets interrupted (latency graph overlays and such). I'm connected via Ethernet to my modem/router (both in the same unit as is typical of AT&T). Anyone using my wifi at the time notices the disconnects. Originally it happened while using a 2wire 2701HG-B, the DSL light would flash, and the broadband light would go out. Occasionally the DSL light would go red. It would do that for a few seconds (30ish on average), and then I'd be back to normal. I've spoken to tech support dozens of times (no exaggeration), and I've had at least 5 techs come to the house. They've completely redone the wiring from the pole to the house, and the junction inside. They've checked the other wiring inside. They've replaced my 2wire router with another of the same make and model, only for that to fix nothing. They've done a "port swap" on their end, and while that did help my speeds a little, it did nothing for my connectivity issues. They have since given me a Motorola Netopia-3000 modem/router, as they said there was supposedly a problem with those 2wire units having a bad card… so they're swapping out well over 200 units atm. Doesn't entirely make sense since my first of the 2wire's to have problems with this was from around a year before the second one, and from an AT&T store, so I doubt they were from the same batch. With 3 routers, new lines, and the same problem, I'm at a loss other than to assume it's on their end. I was contemplating upgrading to U-Verse internet (Just the internet, not the TV and all that. I'm sick of not being able to stream higher bit rage Youtube videos and whatnot, without constantly waiting for the buffer), but if they can't get my regular ADSL connection stable, I'm not sure I'd wanna risk switching to VDSL-2. My only other choice of ISP is a municipal cable provider, and they frankly are carp**. Dated infrastructure, low data caps, and a max speed of 10 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. The city won't let anyone else lay lines within the limits and frankly even if they did, I doubt any providers would bother. Right now I end up seeing a max of around 5200 Kbps down, and that's actually up from before the port swap, which was probably closer to 4500 Kbps down. Anyone have any idea what could be done to fix this issue? I'm sick of the techs failing in fine style to resolve this issue that's been ongoing for around a year now. It's exceptionally strange that it happens around the same time of the day. I'm out of ideas.
The fact you indicated the DSL light turns red, flashes, or goes out indicates it definitely has a problem on the line. Either in your house, or further up somewhere. There isn't much you can do. For your part, you can make sure that there are no other devices connected to ANY phone lines in your house. Do some testing and make sure with everything else disconnected from your phone lines besides the DSL modem that you are still having the problem or not. If you don't, you can narrow it down to what is on your line causing the problems. There should be DSL filters on every device connected to your phone lines - those DSL filters go bad quite regularly, a bad one will cause this problem. Unplugging everything will help you eliminate that. Lastly, you can inspect the wiring in the house, or try to plug into a completely different phone jack for a while with your modem to try to eliminate house wiring problems. But, it sounds like the techs have already been out and they likely have already done all of that. But, I wouldn't trust them to do the job right. It doesn't hurt to do your own basic troubleshooting, as outlined above. Another unlikely, but possible cause of problem could be an electronic device in the house putting off stray electromagnetic fields nearby your phone wiring or jacks. Determine if large appliances, cordless devices, or other radio devices may be activating during the times you are having trouble. Intermittent problems are hard to solve. So I have to give AT&T some credit for all they have tried. It is likely very difficult to actually be looking or testing the right thing when the problem actually occurs - its a process of elimination and for intermittent problems that can mean several days or weeks of testing - not an easy thing for an AT&T tech to do, but easier for you. After eliminating problems from within the house, you really have no other choice but to continue to work with AT&T on the external lines. Sorry about your problems.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI