So Im an avid player of the mmorpg WOW and hulu fan. Until recently (about 4 or 5 days ago) I would never have a problem with either of these services, for WOW I could play hours on end without any issues and hulu videos would load seemlessly and without interuption.
Lately however, I have been having some connectivity problems with the internet. I can log onto the internet just fine, with a 5 bar signal from my d-link router, but it seems I am being disconnected from the internet constantly (about every 3 or 4 minutes). Theres a box in WOW that shows your latency, how long it takes for my computer to contact their server, etc and all the numbers are in white, or in other words the normal range, but actions within the game always take anywhere from 15 seconds to a minute to register. It also seems that every 3-5 minutes I will inevitably be disconnected from the server.
On hulu, videos take several minutes to load, freeze constantly, and even just fail out from time to time halfway through a show. I have checked the other computer on the network dont seem to have any of these problems. I have tried many things Ive seen for other peoples similar problems (resetting my modem and router, getting a new DNS, even hardwiring my computer to the router) and I seem to keep coming back to this point.
I recently downloaded a registry scanner which found some 290 something errors on my computer and I was wondering if this could be related to the problem. I dont want to shell out money for them to clean the registry and it turns out to not be the solution.
By the way if you cant tell by now i am not a very technical savvy person, so if theres any other information that would be needed to help narrow down a possible solution, just let me know.
Any help or suggestions for this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Registry Cleaners are like Snake Oil, sound good but totally worthless. The best thing you can hope for is no damage if you use one. They do not fix problems nor speed up your computer.
What is the make and model number of your computer?
Is it a laptop or a desktop system?
How are you connected to the internet? Direct to a Cable/DSL modem or is there a router being used. If so what is the make and model number.
Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here: PCPitstop Full Tests
You must use Internet Explorer as it needs to install an ActiveX program.
Note: Vista/Windows 7 users with UAC must first Right-click IE - Select "Run as Administrator"
If you haven't already registered, Click - Sign up now! (left hand column in User Login)
Register and create a password Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the URL (the http:// stuff) back here into this thread for review.
Note: Vista/Windows 7 users, please close your instance of IE "Running as Administrator" after you are finished reviewing your Results.
Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, please look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.
Note: The PCPitstop Full Tests Results is a free service, but is supported by various paid product advertisements for utilities that "could" remedy the OP's problem.
Since this site is a "free-help" forum, we do not recommend or endorse purchase of automated utilities, and will assist you in manually correcting any problems and settings necessary to optimize your machine's performance. Ask your questions here. We'll help you walk through any necessary steps.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI