This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

camera

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I have a Flip camera and Win 7 x64, i5, 1T. Ciscois droping Flip and I think I know why. Their original Flipshare software has already had to be upgraded to 5.12 due to issues. When I involve the camera with WMP 12 which I think is part of Win 7 WMP becomes corrupted in both pcs. I run the trouble shooter and confirms this. I then uncorrupt both. I have learned one fact that Win dvd maker won't work with Flip MP4 files. I insert the camera , usb, and if the WMP gets involved, it becomes corrupt,. Flip tech (except for one girl)swear there should be no issue But I have read that 64 byte needs a special codec and that others on the web are having trouble too. If I Google the hot terms, I find others with issues. If I insert the camera, I think it loads the files. If I can create dvd within the Flipware perhaps I would not corrupt the WMP. Either exporting to desktop or creating the dvd within the software and not involving the WMP12 would allow me to make the dvd.I think if I play the dvd the WMP would not get corrupted but don't know. I think it is only with raw files. Perhaps there is another player out there like Quicktime thaat would work with MP4. I can't believe I am the only one jumping through hoops to make a dvd from a camera. Do you have any suggetions?
Hi Peter,

Dwnload K-Lite Codec Pack 5.2.0 for 64bit. (not the AVS Video converter) from here, and see if that helps. It's free and automatically converts files for playing on WMP or Quicktime.This latest version covers W7 64bit..

Make sure you untick the "Media Player Classic" option and tick WMP even though you have disabled it (the last wizard page I think) as you really don't want that installed. Your default player will be used instead. If not. try enabling WMP and see how that works now.

The problem with most Video cameras is they all say it's simple to download and play on your computer and create DVD's, but nothing could be further from the truth. The cameras often use varying and very obscure codecs and filters. They seem to do everything possible to make the whole experience horrible.

Cheers,
Lee
Hi Lee I'd like to do this slowly and carefully. I want to give this camera to my 10 year old grand daughter and want to make it ez for her. Maybe she will take the videos and I will put them on dvd. I have spent so much time and energy on this issue. I now know Win dvd player does not work with MP4 files -disappointment. Is it possible for me to put an idea on the table to see what you think. I do not qunderstandstand the information you sent, yet. Perhaps i could usb the camera to the pc and let the files transfer to Flipware. Without going out of Flipware or using WMP, I could crate the dvd from with in the Flipware soft ware. Then burn it with Roxio and play the dvd with Quicktime. I have never used QT but I think it supports MP4. if you could pick my plan apart I woud appreciate it. The tech at Flip said you can click "create dvd" and it sends files to desktop to be burned. This way I am not involing the WMP 12 I don't know if I should untic WMP in add/remove>features because it may harm other Windows features;I don't know. If my plan does not work, maybe you could help me undrstand your suggestion. Thank you for your help. Peter
MP4 is a container format, allowing a combination of audio, video, subtitles and still images to be held in the one single file. It also allows for advanced content such as 3D graphics, menus and user interactivity. WMP supports MP4, but W7 64bit WMP will not support MP4 designed to run on 32bit and I bet that is what your camera's MP4 file format is set-up to run on. K-Lite Codec Pack 5.2.0 is for 64bit, not 32bit. You could try it and see what happens (create a restore point first). When setting up an OS, K-Lite Codec Pack is one of the first programs I install, but I use the 32 bit version. It works automatically and you don't have to do anything with it, just install it and play any format you like. If you want to use Quicktine, just tick Quicktime in the installation Wizard. I think I'll wait another couple of years before installing 64bit. Enough timer for ALL software to catch up! Cheers, Lee
Hello again It is so coincidental that your suggestions is one of the suggestions for a person having trouble with WMP; K-Lite Codec Pack 5.2.0 is for 64bit, not 32bit _they reported no luck. It is pretty hard for me to underrtsand. You seem to be the only one who has found a reason why my camera and Win 7 WMP have issues. I wonder why all, except one tech, says there isn't a compatibility problem.When I mention 64 byte they all talk about Vista. Again, maybe there are not that many 64 byte users. What do you think of my idea?I am not involving WMP with any raw files and am using QT instead of WMP. As I read QT seems to work ok with MP4 and 64 byte. Thank you

You seem to be the only one who has found a reason why my camera and Win 7 WMP have issues.
I wonder why all, except one tech, says there isn't a compatibility problem.When I mention 64 byte they all talk about Vista.
Again, maybe there are not that many 64 byte users.

What do you think of my idea?I am not involving WMP with any raw files and am using QT instead of WMP.
As I read QT seems to work ok with MP4 and 64 byte.
Thank you


Your problem is the reason I do not use a 64bit. OS yet. I also have a Camera that I know will never work with 64bit.

Apart from the speed advantages of some limited but large Industrial, Medical and Scientific Software programs especially designed to run on 64bit and benefit from it's increased speed, does not mean that most common software and drivers that have 64bit versions gain any benefit at all. Same old software, but with 32bit and 64bit versions.

I wouldn't be about to use a DDR 3 system in the new PC I'm building either if I could have bought a new AMD DDR2 socket AM2 motherboard (my present board is toast). Software utilizing the advantages of DDR3 is most probably years away. Typically, most software (especially all PC games) is 3 to 5yrs. behind Hardware development. Why use it and pay a premium price? DDR3 hardware is not such a premium price now so I'll use it, but I know I won't experience a "better" or faster computer (sorry, that was a pet rant there).

PC general operational speed is governed in the registry so that it is comfortable to use and can be increased or retarded at will if you know how.,

If your QT is working OK with your MP4 files. Stick to it and ignore the 64bit WMP issue. It sounds like your camera software has some catching up to do first. Nothing you can do about it except write to the camera manufacturer and complain.

Cheers,
Lee
I guess the only way I will find out if QT will work with it is to try it. I have heard good about VLC, too. Am I correct that i am looking for a program that is 64byte compatible? As for cameras, Olympus updated its sofware and my digtal camera works great. But as for for th flip, Cisco is dropping it wand will no longer support it after 2014. It was giving them away at $50 apiece. Get what u…….

Am I correct that i am looking for a program that is 64byte compatible?


You've got it right :thumbup:

Cheers,
Lee




>>I knew the pc was 64 byte but just found Flip in windows explorer and is 64 byte also.
Must have to do with those MP4 files.
I'll let you know.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI