This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

BSOD on laptop, infected, please help! [Closed]

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

 

I was recommended to this board from a friend, and I have read all the intro material. 

 

I have somewhat of a unique situation, as my laptop is giving me a blue screen of death on startup.  For this reason, I haven't been able to download / post the results of the log from any of the recommended tools (OTL/HJT/DDS).  This error came out of the blue, as this laptop was working fine about a week ago, with no other signs that I was infected.  I am running Windows XP professional, and here's a brief description of the error, let me know what else I can provide:

 

—————————

 

The windows XP screen comes up, and the blue bar loads fine, then the "Please wait" window comes up with the blue background.  It gets all the way to the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen, and then after I enter my password, it tries to boot up for about 10 seconds and gives me a BSOD.

 

The error that I can read on the BSOD is "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR"

***STOP: 0x0000007A

 

I sometimes receive the "Windows needs to check disk" window prior to rebooting, but have not let that run all the way through yet. 

 

—————————

 

Please let me know your thoughts on what I can do to help fix this issue and get back up and running.  Much thanks in advance.

 

Kevin

:welcome:

 

Hi Kevin,

 

If you have windows xp I am guessing that your system may be getting old and this may be a possible hard disk failing

 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/blue-screen-with-this-error-code/03276fa2-6dcb-44d0-a778-499d5d00b65d

 

 

Without seeing any logs from our scanners its hard to say if this is a virus, so why  dont you post in out windows forum and see what they say

 

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=119

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI