This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

clean sweep

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I have the dvds I made when I got the pc which include preloaded programs.. I also have the os and drivers disc. I read that these dvds you allegedly format and recover with, really do not do a thorough format. Should I use the os disc and do a format and recovery to clear the registry? THEN, use the dvds I made when I first got the pc so I can retrieve the programs that came preloaded?
Hi Peter. Vista and Windows 7 default to a quick format and I believe that is also the case when using the Recovery DVDs you create. In most cases there is no need to do a full/long format, especially when you consider the size of today's drives. It could take hours to do. I would only do this if the drive has not been previously formatted or you suspect there may be bad sectors on the drive.

Hi Peter.

Vista and Windows 7 default to a quick format and I believe that is also the case when using the Recovery DVDs you create.

In most cases there is no need to do a full/long format, especially when you consider the size of today's drives. It could take hours to do. I would only do this if the drive has not been previously formatted or you suspect there may be bad sectors on the drive.



You answered my question well as usual. I am going through a bit of a software issue right now but I posted a new thread so as not to complicate things. Thank you and hope to see you there.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI