This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

cleaner

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I have read not to use registry cleaners as they do more harm than good. Also you should be skilled with the registry to use them. I lucked out as I used ccleaner in the past with no trouble, but no more. McAfee has a Quick Clean and covers the following; recylcle temp foldes shortccut lost files framents cache cookies browser Outlook Epress two items Outlook recently used activex I did not check 'registry' or 'system restore' Would you consider this a safe clean or is it potentially hamful and better not to use? Thank you
Just to clarify: Are you saying you developed a problem with CCleaner? If so what was the problem? If not I would continue to suggest it for basic maintenance.
Hello I did have a problem with both ccleaner and Windows reg cleaner a long time ago. Each time I was missing a file to run something. My question is, could you please tell me if you think the items I listed in my post at 4:46 are safe to be cleaned by ccleaner , McAfee or any reputable cleaner or are there any registry items there. I guess I am saying I don't know if only some items ticked(not reg) can be cleaned safely or do all cleaners involve a danger with the registry as when one says, "I use a regisrty cleaner."
Nothing you list should affect your registry. Those are all temporary files and deleting should cause no problem. That list will remove your cookies and history as well as clear out your recycle bin and deleted folder in OE and Outlook. Just to note CCleaner in general does all the above. The Registry Tool in CCleaner is a separate tool and not used nor needed during the cleaning of temporary files. As a personal recommendation for general maintenance I go with CCleaner over any of these other system tools including McAfee or Norton et al.
Hello Thank you for the information. I liked Ccleaner as it has useful functions such as startup disabler etc. I now use Startup CPL.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI