This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

M.S. Office 2010

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This program came preloaded with the pc. If I have to reformat and reinstall i will lose it. Is it legal to make a dvd of the program and if so how do you do it? I also wonder about the seriel #'s you have to use for programs to run. If this is not possible are there any sugestions so i do not lose the program i paid for?

This program came preloaded with the pc.
If I have to reformat and reinstall i will lose it.
Is it legal to make a dvd of the program and if so how do you do it?
I also wonder about the seriel #'s you have to use for programs to run.
If this is not possible are there any sugestions so i do not lose the program i paid for?


To give some answers on this:

1. This program came preloaded with the pc. If I have to reformat and reinstall i will lose it. - If you do what I call a straight out format not using a Factory Out of Box restore, then yes you will.

A. Most systems come with a factory restore out of box state, meaning all the data and pre-loaded software that came with the system would be brought back factory default setting. Using this you will have all the software installed again, now as for the resistration numbers you will have to input them again.

B. If your are using just a Windows Install cd to re-install the operating system, then yes any software that was installed will be gone.

2. Is it legal to make a dvd of the program and if so how do you do it? - I don't know, I am sure someone has the answer to this.

3. I also wonder about the seriel #'s you have to use for programs to run. - If you paid for them you should had a print copy of them somewhere.

4. If this is not possible are there any sugestions so i do not lose the program i paid for?

4A. If you had paid for all the programs, then they do make backup software that you can use to restore them after a format, many I see folks use is

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/produ…mage/index.html

Jimbo1
There is no way to backup or save something like MS Office on a CD or DVD. The computer should have come with a Recovery Partition or a Recovery DVD which will restore it to it's factory installed state which should include MS Office. You're best bet is to do an image backup to an external hard drive using a free program like Macrium Reflect Free or Acronis True Image (not free but better in my opinion). Then if anything happens you simply restore the image and you're back to exactly where the system was when the image was created. If you backup regularly then you'll never lose much. Ideally you should have two versions of backup. One being the image pretty much as it was right after you purchased the computer. The other would be ongoing and done on a regular basis which means you will always have a recent backup of your data as well as the Operating System and install software. The key is to get a good sized external hard drive. That's the starting point. Most people don't do this until after they've lost important data or programs unfortunately.
With XP I had all the discs so this is new to me. What would happen if the hard drive crashed and had to be replaced, just for example. I understand what has been said and do have the options of pc restore and the dvds I made when i got the machine. I also do image with Acronis to my external hard drive. Thank you for filling in the blanks.
If you use Acronis to do an image backup of the hard drive, including the recovery partition then if you replace the drive, a restore will put everything back, including the recovery partition.

If you use Acronis to do an image backup of the hard drive, including the recovery partition then if you replace the drive, a restore will put everything back, including the recovery partition.


LOL in a nut shell that sums it up, that backup software is good to use to restore back to a crashed drive, new drive or even better you can use it to backup any programs on your hard drive and if the program messes up then you can restore just that program, I think their is a trial ver of that software go to their web site and see and try it out.

If you use Acronis to do an image backup of the hard drive, including the recovery partition then if you replace the drive, a restore will put everything back, including the recovery partition.




I am certainly glad I am imaging - thank you.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI