IE8 nor firefox can open anything from google.com. It keeps getting a 404 page not found. I can ping google.com and speeds are good. I've deleted the lmhost file, flushed dns, removed avg antivirus, checked MS firewall. Even with google set as the search engine in both ie8 and firefox (just installed) anything I search for comes up as a 404 because it can't find google.
I'm runing XP pro with sp3.
I would say try going with IP its "209.85.148.106". If it works that means that your "www.google.com" address is somehow blocked and it may be done by other programs too not only firewall or antivirus. Maybe I'm trying to find the most simple solution to your problem but i just remember pranks from school :). Of course maybe IP is blocked too then got with some different proxy server that you can find in the internet. Tell if that works.
Ya went to someone place that had the same issue. Things that I tried
1 Log onto Safemode type in google.com 404 error
2 Disabled all antivirus and firewall 404 error
3 Notice at the bottem of the screen SMARTSCREEN FILTER ONLINE SERVICE IS TEMPORARILY UNAVILBLE
4 tried 3 differnt Antivurs Eset, Housecall and windows security essentials.
Reason for edit: Removed HJT log and added as an attachment: 📎SithcheanHJT.txt
I found this and I think it can help both of us. From Tweaks.com
Download HostsXpert v4.3.
1. Extract/unzip the HostsXpert folder to your desktop.
2. Open the folder and double-click on HostsXpert.exe
3. Press "Restore MS Hosts File"
4. Press "OK" and exit the program.
Resetting the hosts file did not work for me. I did however add www.google.com and google.com with Googles IP address to the hosts file and then google worked for me again.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI