This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Oops! Interenet Explorer could not find www.google.com

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am using Windows XP and when I search for anything using the Goolge tool bar I get this message: Oops! Internet Explorer could not find www.google.com If I type te website I need in the address bar it comes up without a problem so I know the internet connection isn't the problem. Also if I restart the computer he google toolbar will for for a few times then quit. What is going on?
Uninstall Google Toolbar from Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. Also Google Updater if there. Reboot then if you still want to use it, reinstall it Google Toolbar.
Ok I removed it then reinstalled the Google tool bar. It worked for a little bit and now I am getting the same message.
Okay, try this in IE.

Click on Tools then Manage Add-ons.
On the Toolbars and Extensions pane, disable all extensions except Google and see how it works. If okay then one of the ones you disabled is interfering. The rest you can Enable again or leave disabled.

Edit: Also, while in Manage Add-ons, look at Search Providers. Make sure Google is default then remove any others.
One solution is to get rid of Google Toolbar then setup Google as the default Search Provider, then you can type your search arguments into the URL (Address) bar to search, or setup a Favorites to Google.
Thank you for your help. I am still having problems and I am thinking that our computer is having bigger issues. My computer says I have an update I need to install- Windows XP Service Pack 3- and when I try to install it an error comes up that says the file c:\windows\system32\drivers\acou.sys is open or in use by another application. I cannot figure out how to close it….
Try this. Download the Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers. Save to a folder on your hard drive.

Open the folder and double click on WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe to start the install, see if that works.

If not, restart your computer and press "F8" repeatedly to launch the Windows Advanced Options Menu. Scroll through the menu and select "Safe Mode." Press "Enter" to start Windows Safe Mode.

Open the folder and double click on WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe to start the install, see if that works.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI