Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91910 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IE8 getting 404 errors

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Charlene Reeves

Charlene Reeves

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:02 PM

It (IE8) is working better, but the following error keep returning 404 when I am on a web page all is fine until I hit next (page) and it all of a sudden appears not able to connect and when I run the link to find out why I get error 404. This is frequent too. Also how do I turn my toolbar-view, etc. so I can print. The web page also says I have no admin rights when i try to use IE. Haven't seen error IE is closing anymore. Probably was a google issue.

My previous thread is here: http://forums.whatth...es_t110245.html

Edit: Charlene, I split this off into a new thread so it doesn't get lost.

Edited by Ztruker, 23 February 2010 - 08:12 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,807 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:14 PM

To get the File Edit View Favorites Tools Help bar, right click on an empty area of the tool bars at the top of IE8 and select Menu Bar.

Rich

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,807 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:45 PM

It sounds a bit like Winsock corruption. See here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

Scroll down to this section: Reset Winsock for Windows Vista and follow directions, see if that makes a difference.

If not, I would suggest uninstalling then reinstalling IE8 as follows: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Does the problem occur with IE7 or IE6, which ever is left after uninstalling IE8? If not, reinstall IE8 via Windows update, see here:

http://www.microsoft...ndowsvista.mspx

Scroll down to the section Installing optional updates and drivers

Rich

#4 Charlene Reeves

Charlene Reeves

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:48 AM

It says when I am on a web page and click on a item which usually opens another web page "Internal Error" I have seen this quite a bit lately. I never had a problem with IE 7.

Edited by Charlene Reeves, 27 February 2010 - 06:49 AM.

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:43 PM

Hi! We finally reconnected :thumbup: I would try uninstalling IE8 as I suggested and see if IE7 has the problem. If not, reinstall IE8 and see if it comes back.

Rich

#6 Charlene Reeves

Charlene Reeves

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:14 AM

I did reset the winsock and uninstall 8 and have had 38 windows open up at one time and also the same message is displaying. The freezing is also back which had gone away. I am getting an error msgIE 8 App Hang before I uninstalled it now these other issues have come up. I tried to copy to clipboard but didn't find where the clipboard is. Charlene Of course 8 wants us to re install. Charlene

Edited by Charlene Reeves, 01 March 2010 - 10:58 AM.

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:00 AM

I'm finding it hard to follow what you are saying. What state is your computer in now?

IE8 installed or uninstalled? If un, is IE7 now your browser and are you getting errors there?

and have had 38 windows open up at one time - what does this mean? What do/did you do to make this happen? Intentional or did that open by themselves.

To capture a screen image and upload it here, see these links:

How to capture screen images (screen shots)
Note: To start Paint, click on Start then Run, type mspaint and press Enter

How to upload an Image into your Thread

Have you tried using a different web browser, like FireFox, Opera or Safari? We've been working on this for awhile now so I've lost track a bit.

Rich

#8 Charlene Reeves

Charlene Reeves

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:12 AM

I am running IE 7. I uninstalled IE8 and rebooted. I continued to surf theweb and on some links from an email with a link provided in the email I tried to open itand the error message reads closing IE checking for solution. It opened anyway opening up 38 windows (bad website) just completely without allowing me to close them. Norton blocked them for they had a trojan. . Then I closed the group of 38 windows and the computer became unresoponsive. After 30 minutes I was able to open parts of a web page which would partially open so I again restarted the computer and works ok since.

#9 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:01 PM

Charlene, Sorry to butt in here... but it's most unwise to click on a link in an email......there is rarely any real need to do so. Many folks infect their machines by clicking on links..... Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#10 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:35 PM

Youch! As Paws said, clicking on links in E-mails is one of the more common methods of getting a computer virus. Good that Norton blocked it but just to be sure, please go back to your malware thread:

http://forums.whatth...ed_t110208.html

I sent a PM to LDTate asking him to reopen it. Once that's done post the needed log files as you did initially.

You are probably okay as Norton is a good AV program but better safe than sorry.

Please do give FireFox a try (link in my previous post) if the problem reoccurs.

I may or may not have asked this previously, but do you have your important data backed up? If not, now would be a very good time to do so.

Pictures, E-mails, Favorites, Address book, Documents, etc.

There are a variety of ways to do this.

1. Backup to a flash drive
2. Backup to CD/DVD
3. Backup to a 2nd internal hard drive
4. Backup to an external hard drive
5. Backup to the internet using software like Carbonite or SOS Online Backup

Once your data is backed up, it then opens the possibility of restoring your computer to it's factory installed state if these problems continue to occur.

Rich

#11 Charlene Reeves

Charlene Reeves

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:51 PM

Today I heard and saw allot of flickering and bells going off. I am not sure why the bells were going of but the all the sites or that were open (and regular software) had a high ring like a trip wire being hit 1000000000 time overlapping and the same with the flashing of everything visable. I do have a back up. Foxfire works fine but has some features like replying with a link when necessary

Edited by Charlene Reeves, 01 March 2010 - 03:55 PM.

#12 LDTate

LDTate

Forum God

• Root Admin
  • 57,172 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:18 PM

Charlene,
Start a new topic in the Infections Removal Forum

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom